Valentine's Day Strawberry Cupcakes

If you like things with a fresh strawberry flavor, you will love this recipe. I bought some wonderfully flavored strawberries at the store the other day and made these for my daughter who was home this weekend. They would be perfect for Valentine's Day. The recipe calls for the addition of red food coloring which I left out. If you want the frosting and cake to be a deep red, add it.


Line your cupcake pans with cupcake liners. In the bowl of your mixer, add 1 C. softened butter and 2 1/2 C. sugar. Beat this until fluffy. Add 4 egg yolks. Reserve the egg whites.


Add 1 1/4 C. pureed fresh strawberries. Beat until well blended. Beat in 1 tsp. of baking powder and 1 tsp. of baking soda. Beat in 1 cup of buttermilk.


Add 3 C. cake flour beating in one cup at a time.


Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.


Gently fold them into the batter.



I use a pancake funnel to put the batter in the cups. Fill them 2/3 full.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.


Cool on racks while you make the frosting.

Frosting:

Beat 8 oz. of softened cream cheese with 1/2 C. of softened butter and 1/4 C. pureed fresh strawberries. Add 1/3 C. heavy cream and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract. Beat in enough confectioners sugar to get a good spreading consistency. Mine took about 3 1/2 cups.




frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with some decorating sugar if you like.


This recipe makes about 24 cupcakes.

Comments

These are so pretty and I can just taste that strawberry goodness!
Anonymous said…
It's never wrong with cup cakes :-) But I'm usually to lazy to make them myself, but one can always buy some from my friend that owns a café :-) :-) :-)

I don't think I've ever seen a pancake funnel before :-) I've heard of them though and I'm sp sloppy when making pancakes so I should really find me one :-) :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
These look so delicious! I think I still have strawberries from my garden in the freezer that would be perfect for this!
brokenteepee said…
I'd bet they'd be yummy with cherries too. I have cherries in the freezer and I have to bake for the firemen this week.
Nellie said…
It would not be good for my waistline to have these in the house! What a delicious recipe!
I know what I'm making for Valentine's Day. They are beautiful!
TARYTERRE said…
I haven't had a cupcake in ages. Valentine's Day sounds like a good time to remedy that. I LOVE the strawberry but don't you know it's the FROSTING that has my mouth watering.
Robin Larkspur said…
Scrumptious! and pretty!
Barb said…
I think this might be a Valentines Day must! That is if I can find good strawberries.
Mother Moon said…
cant't say anything but YUM....
Poppy said…
Oh my gosh, I seriously want to come to your house to eat! (Don't worry, I'm not going to show up at your doorstep) I think I've gained 5 lbs just reading your blog lately!

Thank you for the always wonderful recipes!
Ina in Alaska said…
The pancake funnel is a great tip!
Anonymous said…
oh boy how delicous,, those are just perfect for Valentines Day!
Using a pancake funnel is a great idea! No mess, no fuss.
Joy said…
Baking already for the big day? =) Great idea, but might have to sub frozen sour cherries since strawberries aren't the greatest now.
luckybunny said…
I could eat above five of these right now just from you pictures! I'll have to make these for Valentines day - they are so darned pretty! And I bet they taste as good as they look.
luckybunny said…
I could eat above five of these right now just from you pictures! I'll have to make these for Valentines day - they are so darned pretty! And I bet they taste as good as they look.