Wild Rice Soup

I've posted this before but it is worth posting again for anyone that might have missed it.


Soak 1 cup of dried mushrooms in hot water for about 20 minutes. Drain them and reserve the liquid.


Cook the wild rice. I wanted 4 cups of cooked rice so I measured out 2 cups of wild rice and 2 teaspoons of salt. Add 6 cups of water. Bring this to a boil and then turn it down and let it simmer for 30 minutes. The rice will pop open when it is done. You could make this recipe with barley or regular rice but there is nothing that compares to the earthy taste of wild rice.


Dice 1 large onion.


Dice 6 stalks of celery.


Dice 4 or 5 large carrots.


Dice the dried mushrooms. Strain any sediment from the mushroom juice.


Dice 6 large fresh mushrooms.


Melt about 4 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large pot. Homemade butter!!! Just kidding though I am totally diggin' having my homemade butter.

Add all of the diced vegetables. Stir and saute' for a few minutes.


Dice up 2 cups of ham.


Add some salt and pepper to the vegetables.


Add 4 bay leaves.

Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric.


Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of chicken bouillon.

Add the ham.


I added the rice too soon.

Before you add the rice, stir in 5 tablespoons of flour and stir it for 2 minutes.


Now add the cooked rice and any extra water left in the rice pot. The rice doesn't have to be cooked the whole way because it will continue to cook in the soup.


Add 2 quarts of chicken stock. I made my own stock so it was not salty. If you are adding store bought you will have to taste for seasoning since it has salt in it.



Add 2 containers of Knorr condensed chicken stock. This gives the soup a deeper flavor.


Add 1/2 cup of diced fresh parsley.


Bring this to a slight boil and then let it simmer for a while until it starts to thicken.


Add 1 1/2 cups of whole milk or 1 cup of half and half or cream. It depends on how rich you want it to be. I used 1/2 cup of half and half and 1 cup of whole milk.


I will be posting the rolls I served with the soup tomorrow.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is dangerous comming here :-) :-) Now I got hungry again so now I'll have to check if I have something easy to make that only takes a short time to make :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
well I'll justwait til tomorrow to make this soup then, I want the rolls with it, i'm just greedy like that!!Have a great day,
Marigold said…
You're just better than Betty Crocker!
Barbara F. said…
Betty Crocker and any celebrity chef rolled into one!! Always something good cooking at Octoberfarm. I definitely think you have more than enough recipes for your own show. xo
Rue said…
This looks great - and hearty! I feel a soup day coming on...
Holy cow! I had forgotten all about this soup. It is wonderful! I'll make a batch this week
brokenteepee said…
I would end up munching on the ham before it made its way into the soup and then there would be no more ham....*sigh*
This sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of mushroom soup but the wild rice and ham puts this one on top of the list of soups to try.
Nellie said…
What a luscious-sounding soup! Can hardly wait to read about the rolls!
luckybunny said…
I've been thinking about making some wild rice soon and this will be the recipe I use - it's perfect! Thanks for sharing, it looks so good!
Poppy said…
Can I just come to your house for dinner every night? Your photos look so good I can smell the food cooking! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great week!

RaShell
TARYTERRE said…
What a hearty bowl of soup. Love the fact you put turmeric in it.
SharleneT said…
I love soup weather, and this is a wonderful one. (Knew you'd figure out a recipe for your homemade butter!) I fixed a soup, today, too. Come check it out. Used pork neck bones for a more earthy one.
Joy said…
OMG...I love wild rice soups! Looks wonderful! Of course, I'd have to make some major substitutions here like Turkish sucuk for the ham and I don't know if I've even seen wild rice here. I'll keep my eyes open as I'd love to make this soup! Or I'll bookmark it for another time.