Veggies and Grits

I've been on the hunt for some really good stone ground grits and I finally found them.  If you are interested, you can find them here:  http://www.geechieboymill.com/geechieboymill/Welcome.html  The have yellow and white.  I stocked up on both.

Follow the directions on the bag but basically you just boil water with some salt and butter and add the grits.


I added some cheddar and blue cheese for this recipe.


Slice up your vegetables.


Melt 2 T. of butter and add 2 T. of oil.


First I sauteed the onions until they softened and then I threw in the garlic.  I pushed that off to the side and threw in the mushrooms.  Sprinkle each addition with salt and pepper.

Once the mushrooms are almost finished, they are pushed to the side, and I add the zucchini.

The secret to this recipe is liquid smoke.  Add about 6 drops.  This is just enough to add depth of flavor without overwhelming the dish.

There were lots of Mmmmm's while my peeps were eating this.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I bet there were a lot of mmmm's, that sounds wonderful, we had a lot mmm's yesterday at dinner, I made your pork chop recipe, I did you proud,I brined them as you said and then followed your directions to the letter, they were the best , everyone just loved them, I use your recipes on the side of your blog like a cook book, thanks for sharing them!
I have never met a pot of grits I didn't love. These sound wonderful. I ordered grits the other day after we talked.
brokenteepee said…
I do love grits...
If I made this, I'd go around saying "Kiss my grits!" all day so it's just as well that I don't.
Nellie said…
Oh, yum! How tasty this sounds!
LindaG said…
These both sound really good. I will have to try that with the liquid smoke.
The only thing I've ever used liquid smoke for is making jerky. :o)
Looks yummy - I can smell from here! My neighbour in Austin Texas used to make really good grits, now I have a good recipe to try, thank you :)
Ozlem
Tamara said…
Yum! I like to sautee mushrooms, onions, garlic and zuchini also but I put soy sauce on it...never thought of liquid smoke. Thanks for the idea :)
TARYTERRE said…
My hubby LOVES grits. I LOVE veggies. perfect combination.
SharleneT said…
Grits is good eating. Grits, with veggies, even better good eating! This looks so good, gonna have to make some this week. Thanks for sharing. Hope your thumb is getting better. I think of you, every day, and wonder how you're managing to get all this cooking done! Kudos!