Pan De Mie

I am quite sure I am OCD.  I've never been diagnosed but if something is  a fraction of an inch out of place, it drives me crazy.  I check and recheck whether I have locked doors and unplugged appliances.  This is my OCD bread.  It is perfect!  It also makes the best sandwich bread especially if you want to make tea sandwiches.  I just like to look at how perfectly it is shaped.

Pour 4 cups of milk and 1/2 cup of water into your mixer bowl.  Add 1  1/2 sticks of softened butter.  Add 2 tablespoons of rapid rise yeast and 5 teaspoons of kosher salt.  Gradually beat in 10 cups of flour.  This will make 2 large loaves.

Cover and let the dough rise until double in bulk.

Punch the dough down and split it in two.  Put one half in a greased pullman pan which is 16X3X3.

Grease the top and attach it to the bottom pan.  If you don't have pullman pans, you can put this in a loaf pan and sit a tray on top and weight it down.

Let the dough rise again until it almost comes to the top of the pan.  Bake it in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 40 minutes.  Turn the heat down to 375 degrees and bake for 20 minutes longer.

Remove the lid from the pan.

Let the loaf cool on a rack completely before slicing.

It slices better the next day.

I made curried egg salad sandwiches with my perfectly shaped bread.  And it drove me crazy when pieces of the filling fell out!!!

Comments

This bread looks absolutely wonderful. I love that it's so perfect. I need to get a pan.
I learned a new term today, Jaz -- thanks! PULLMAN PANS!
Anonymous said…
its a masterpiece, but if I was to say what you just said , to my kids they would say " you need help mum", ha ha, the fact you are a perfectionist shows in everything you show us of your world, so if you do have OCD, you have it in a good way!
Anonymous said…
Wow, that bread looks so wonderful. I wish my bread looked that even. Mine always seems to get higher on one side ; )
Have a great weekend.
Anonymous said…
I just left a comment here but got an error message, did You get my comment?

Christer.
LindaG said…
Not heard of one of these pans, but I think I need to find one.
I love the look of your bread. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us! :o)
brokenteepee said…
Like Pepperidge Farm bread...
Barb said…
That bread looks so good and perfect!!
Ina in Alaska said…
That is a lovely loaf indeed. And that sandwich looks pretty tasty too!
"And it drove me crazy when pieces of the filling fell out!!! "

-chuckle- I understand the tendency to OCD-ness. Oh yes, I do. Can't just walk by a picture frame, that's a wee bit off.... Etc. ,-)

Used to check locked doors more, than I do. But I still have to go around and make sure downstairs is secure, by counting secured doors/windows, before I go up to bed every night. (The count has to reach 9, good thing I don't live in a bigger house!!!)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Imagine how I was, before I cut myself back, though?!?

"Partners do not need to hold on tightly,
because they move confidently in the same pattern,
intricate but gay and swift and free."

~Anne Morrow Lindberg
Anonymous said…
Ah well, we are all different. I do not have this problem thankfully, looking around my study as i write thinking you would either go mad or be an enormous help! I have never thought of making the loves such a nice shape, fantastic.. I will try it with a tray on top, the boys will love it.. no rain yet here, i think the clouds tucked in their strings and floated on by! poo.. love celi
Nellie said…
The bread looks perfect! I haven't seen one of those pans in many years.
TARYTERRE said…
I think all of us have a little OCD in us. Bread looks good, but now I'm craving egg salad.