Fabulous Beef Sandwiches

Sometimes mistakes end up turning out in a good way.  A few days ago I came across a recipe I wanted to make that called for a chuck roast.  I bought one when I was shopping and immediately forgot which recipe I wanted to make.  A couple days went by and the chuck roast was staring me in the eye.  The clock was ticking and I could not remember the damn recipe.

So, on one of the really hot nights I caved in and realized I had to do something with the roast.  I resorted to my slow cooker which I rarely use.  I just wanted to not have to think about that piece of chuck anymore.  I threw it in the slow cooker, added 1 cup of red wine, 2 cups of beef stock, 2 packets of Knorr's Beef Concentrate, 3 tablespoons of tomato paste, 3 anchovies, 1 pound of sliced mushrooms and 1 large onion sliced.  I add S&P and a bunch of fresh herbs along with a few bay leaves from my garden.  Oh, and a dash of Maggi.  I put the lid on, set it on low and set the timer for 12 hours.

The next morning, still not knowing what I was going to do with my concoction, I decided to serve it on Texas Roadhouse Rolls.  I had been wanting to make them for a while.

Alas, they were a pitiful failure because I got busy doing other things and did not pay as close attention to them as I should have.  However, they were indeed perfect for the beef sandwiches.

So, I split them, spread them with garlic butter and toasted them.

Once the beef was on the bun, I added some fresh tomatoes from the garden.

These ended up being some of the best sandwiches we've ever tasted.

Comments

jody said…
your sandwiches look and sound great! as do your dinner rolls below! im going to have to try them but not till it cools some...maybe fall? gardening in the am stitchen in the afternoon.. hope you and teddy enjoy your day!
Guillaume said…
This is my kind of sandwich and my kind of beef sandwich. With a beer and some fries, that is an ideal Friday night meal.
brokenteepee said…
And that is how it works sometimes
Anonymous said…
It's nice that mistakes can end up as a success :-)They do look tasty!

Still a long time until I can pick any tomatoes if I'll be able at all :-) They believe the rest of this month will be just as cold and rainy as it has been so far.

Have a great day!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
well it sure sounds good thats for sure, happy accidents are a way of life for me!!
I'm making this this weekend. I could eat two now. I love the way the rolls look. Not to thick and heavy.
Barb said…
What a great idea, especially if it hot. Slow cookers don't heat up the house. I have one but rarely use it. This recipe gives me ideas!
TARYTERRE said…
Sometimes winging it yields the best results. Looks good. Bet it tastes divine.
Sounds like the perfect "happy accident."
Nellie said…
They look absolutely delicious!
SharleneT said…
That's the 'magic' of the kitchen; don't you think? This and that, and back away, and then see what happens. Love that. But, you just take it to such a level! Home made rolls, etc. I will definitely try this recipe -- in the solar oven... Thanks for sharing.