Summer Herb Bread

We used to go to a restaurant that served this bread and I loved it.  When they went out of business, I decided to duplicate it.  This is perfect for this time of year when you have lots of fresh herbs growing.

You will need:

2  1/4 tsp. rapid rise yeast
2 tsp. honey
1 C. water
2  1/2 C. bread flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1  1/2 tablespoons of diced fresh rosemary
2 tsp. fresh thyme
2 tsp. fresh basil
2 tsp. fresh oregano

Place the yeast with the honey and water in your mixer bowl.  Mix in 1 C. of flour then add the salt.  Mix in the chopped up herbs and the rest of the flour.  Mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of your mixer.  Add a bit more flour if needed.  The dough should be a bit sticky.  Place it in a greased bowl and turn it to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in bulk.

Shape into a round or oval loaf.  Brush with some melted butter and sprinkle with a mixture of Parmesan, granulated garlic and onion powder and 1/2 tsp. of the diced fresh rosemary.  Let it rise until doubled.

Bake it in a 350 degree oven for about 40-50 minutes.  It should sound hollow when you tap on it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
For once I baked my rosemary rye bread yesterday, I usually never bake during summer otherwise. This time I poured some sour cream in it and it turned out rather well :-)

I'll try this when autumn arrives!

Have a great day!
Christer.
That does look good and fairly easy too.
Anonymous said…
this must smell like heaven baking, beautiful bread, I hope it has cooled a bit for you, still hot here but nothing like in the States, I mustn't complain,
Nellie said…
Thank you for this recipe! It's one I will be trying!
TARYTERRE said…
LOVE herbs, love bread. GREAT combination.
Nadine said…
Must grow some herbs once moved into the new house just so I can make this. =)
LindaG said…
Thank you for the recipe. I've bookmarked it so I can give it a try sometime. :o)
Barb said…
I've never tried bread but this looks easy enough! My carb loving husband will love it!
Megs said…
That looks good- I have to tell you, your sourbread recipe I tried was amazing! I did that and the empire biscuits and everyone raved.
Yours is one of the first websites I check daily, and I am never dissapointed- thanks much!