Sunday, July 8, 2012

Summer Herb Bread

We used to go to a restaurant that served this bread and I loved it.  When they went out of business, I decided to duplicate it.  This is perfect for this time of year when you have lots of fresh herbs growing.

You will need:

2  1/4 tsp. rapid rise yeast
2 tsp. honey
1 C. water
2  1/2 C. bread flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1  1/2 tablespoons of diced fresh rosemary
2 tsp. fresh thyme
2 tsp. fresh basil
2 tsp. fresh oregano

Place the yeast with the honey and water in your mixer bowl.  Mix in 1 C. of flour then add the salt.  Mix in the chopped up herbs and the rest of the flour.  Mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of your mixer.  Add a bit more flour if needed.  The dough should be a bit sticky.  Place it in a greased bowl and turn it to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in bulk.

Shape into a round or oval loaf.  Brush with some melted butter and sprinkle with a mixture of Parmesan, granulated garlic and onion powder and 1/2 tsp. of the diced fresh rosemary.  Let it rise until doubled.

Bake it in a 350 degree oven for about 40-50 minutes.  It should sound hollow when you tap on it.

10 comments:

thecottagebythecranelakeolof1 said...

For once I baked my rosemary rye bread yesterday, I usually never bake during summer otherwise. This time I poured some sour cream in it and it turned out rather well :-)

I'll try this when autumn arrives!

Have a great day!
Christer.

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

That does look good and fairly easy too.

laurie said...

this must smell like heaven baking, beautiful bread, I hope it has cooled a bit for you, still hot here but nothing like in the States, I mustn't complain,

Nellie said...

Thank you for this recipe! It's one I will be trying!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Mmmm, so flavourful!

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE herbs, love bread. GREAT combination.

Nadine A. said...

Must grow some herbs once moved into the new house just so I can make this. =)

LindaG said...

Thank you for the recipe. I've bookmarked it so I can give it a try sometime. :o)

Barb said...

I've never tried bread but this looks easy enough! My carb loving husband will love it!

Megs said...

That looks good- I have to tell you, your sourbread recipe I tried was amazing! I did that and the empire biscuits and everyone raved.
Yours is one of the first websites I check daily, and I am never dissapointed- thanks much!