Authentic Sicilean Rosemary Meat Sauce

 I have always love Italian food but after spending lots of time in Italy, I realized that most often, American Italian food doesn't come close to the real thing.  This recipe is the real thing.

 Boil a large bunch of rosemary stems in 2 cups of water.   Set it aside to steep.

 In a bit of olive oil, saute' 1 large onion with 6 ounces of diced pancetta.

 Add 2 pounds of ground beef.

 Cook breaking up until browned.

 Sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.  Ad 3 diced anchovies.  You will not taste them, I promise.  They just bring out the beef flavor.  Also add a sprinkling of red pepper flakes.  Just enough to waken the flavor.  It should not be spicy.

 Grate in about 1/2 tsp. of fresh nutmeg. I used a bit more so do this to taste.  Don't skip this step!  You must have nutmeg in this sauce.

 Add about 4 tablespoons of tomato paste and a tablespoon or two of Maggi.

 Add the strained rosemary water, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.

 Just before serving, stir in a couple tablespoons of freshly chopped rosemary and a few pats of butter.  Stir to combine.

 Serve it over a pasta which will grip the meat.

Sprinkle on some grated Parmesan and shredded Asiago cheese.  This is such a delicious Italian dish.

Comments

Sounds delicious. But it should be! With all those ingredients! :-)

I love curly pasta. So glad they make it Gluten Free, out of corn.

And husband found Asiago cheese and is having a *love affair* with it! I'm a wimp, because it's too strong for me. ,-)

"Auntie"
Anonymous said…
It's the same here. If I once hadn't known a woman from Italy I wouldn't have understood how much better real Italian food is than what we believe It is here :-)

This looks just soo delicious and is a must try :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
brokenteepee said…
The best meal I ever ate was a roast chicken in Rome. In a small out of the way restaurant. It was transcendent
Dog Trot Farm said…
Joyce, I can just smell the delicious aroma floating in the air. Visiting Italy has been on my wish list for a very long time, perhaps someday. Thank you for reminding me that I need to harvest my rosemary. Enjoy the day, Julie.
Guillaume said…
Simple and delicious. Hence completely Italian.
I never buy that kind of pasta. This dish will make me do it. I always go to the kids restaurant for their pasta salad make with it.
GRIEF but this looks good!!
Ina in Alaska said…
Lovely recipe! I will try this one day. The post and comments reminded me of my sister's late in-laws who were originally from Calabria and accomplished cooks and wine makers. As I type this I have fond fond memories of sitting together with Mr. Sganga and enjoying his homemade wine at the beach and Mrs. Sganga's lovely sprinkled honey balls at Christmas. They hardly spoke a word of English but I loved them.... RIP xxoo thanks for this post Joyce.
I'll bet your kitchen smelled amazing! I have lots of Rosemary from the garden too! This looks delicious and I can't wait to make it!

Have a great day!

Mary
Suzie said…
Ooooh, this is another "must try" recipe! Including the anchovies. .I've learned in the past that you are right. .you don't taste them in the finished dish!
SharleneT said…
This is so going into my regular recipe file! I love the rosemary is one and am putting some out in the sun right now thanks for sharing. Come visit when you can.