The Blog Tech's Cottage

 I bought The Blog Tech a house of his own.  He has been living in one of our houses but it was time for him to have his own place.  Let me put this nicely, he and I differ in decorating styles.  He does none and I like things to be perfect.  This sometimes leads to a bit of tension! So, now he has his own place to do with as he wishes.

 This place is almost maintenance free.  There is no grass to cut and it is planted with perennials.  Believe me, I have been looking for a place for him for years.  This is the best place I came across and it is in move-in condition. Cute little front porch with a tree for privacy and a statue.

 A bird house and a yard bell.

 A porch swing and awnings for privacy.

 The living room has parquet floors and the original fireplace.  And the prerequisite Ikea tables.

 Each room has a chandelier.  I helped out by hanging drapes.  BTW, Ikea has the cheapest drapes!

 The dining room.

 A balcony off of the dining room.

 The DR also has the original fireplace and a small closet.

 Balcony on the left and the stairway to the upstairs straight ahead.

 A very nice sized kitchen with hardwood floors.

 The kitchen is actually on the lower lever like a Tidewater home. Who knows why it was built like this? 

 Another view of the kitchen leading out to the back.

 And how cute is this?  A courtyard surrounded by brick walls with lanterns on each corner.  The wall is bowing a bit on one side and will need to be reset at some point.

 It also has a bench and a statue.

 Back view of the house.

 And a nice brick porch.

 A good sized laundry room too.

 The bathroom is great.  It is also on the lower level.  A quirky house for sure but great for The Blog Tech.

 He keeps hitting his head on this chandelier so it will have to be replaced.

 The door to the bathroom is in the laundry area.

 There are small cabinets and cupboards tucked in everywhere utilizing every square inch.

 A cupboard for his glasses.

 The stairs to the top floor.

 The front bedroom.

 And the back bedroom.

Hope you enjoyed the tour. It is the last one I will give of this place.  Once he moves in I doubt that I will be visiting very often!  That is, unless something breaks!

This house is just 2 blocks from our home.  I am hoping to learn it's story from neighbors.  A 94 year old woman moved from here recently.  She raised 7 children in this house.  How???  Her husband was a brick layer so that is the explanation for the courtyard. It is easy to see she took great pride in her home.  This is the third house I have bought from woman in their 90's who have lived most of their lives in them.  They are the best homes I have ever owned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
good karma maybe draws you to these well loved homes.all I can say is blog tech is one lucky boy!!!

I used your beef bourguignon this weekend, a sure fire hit!!
Suzanne said…
I love it! So very beautiful!
Suzie said…
That is an adorable home!! I do hope that he has fallen in love with it, and will take pride in making it look its best! He may surprise you!

Some day, many, many years from now, someone will be saying. ."I bought my home from a woman in her 90's, and it is BEAUTIFUL!! I don't know how she did it, but she had awesome gardens, and was known for being able to cook anything from memory, and turned out one memorable meal after another. . "
Kelly said…
I could just imagine how it would look if you decorated it. I think he will probably grow up a bit and change his taste. Very fortunate Blog Tec.
It's lovely, and he's a lucky son to receive such a generous gift from his loving parents!
petoskystone said…
What a lovely space! So well turned out :) I can see where she raised 7 children there. After all, it's only this American generation which is accustomed to so much excess space.
Robin Larkspur said…
A very cute cottage. I can't believe a woman raised seven children there! Wishing the BT a happy life in his new home.
brokenteepee said…
The floors are magnificent. Old floors are the best.

I wish him many happy years in his new home.
cute and unique and just right for him. i agree, good karma.

a home of his own. one of the lucky ones. hope he appreciates all you do.

i like it.
Anonymous said…
I like that house very much! To close to the neighbours for my taste though :-) :-) :-) But I like that brick yard a lot!

Over here all homes have their kitchen on the lower level. I don't think I know a sinbgle house that hasn't :-)So that's unusual in the states then?

The bathroom is also almost always on the lower level here and some have another upstairs too but we usually don't have that man bathrooms in our houses to be honest.

Have a great day!
Christer.
Cascade Quilts said…
beautiful home, such a lucky BT to have such a generous mom! I wish I could do the same for my two sons!
What an adorable little home! I love everything about it. Nice size kitchen, too.
Wish him well in his new home.
Perfect! Just perfect. Thank you so much for the tour.

I understand why you will not be visiting. That way, you don't have to *kill* him, when/if he doesn't keep it up. -grin-

Hope he appreciates this whole thing...

Oh and I so love the wee little built in cabinets, here and there. Love that aspect, in an old house. :-)

"Auntie"
Cindi Myers said…
Love that quirky house!
He's one lucky kid.
Please adopt me.
littlemancat said…
I love it - a really lovely house. I do agree with petoskystone about raising seven children there. It seems we've become a bit spoiled in what we want and what we need.
Lucky lad, your son. I'm afraid my son is on his own, sadly.
mary
Barb said…
The blog tech's new house is great. I do love old homes. I think they are filled with character!! Good luck to him in this new adventure!
Tami Von Zalez said…
What a sweet little house - I could see myself living there!

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com
Guillaume said…
You are so generous. I would love to live in such a place.
Dee said…
Love the house!
Nice! And not a single blade of grass to mow . . . sweet! I'm sure the Blog Tech will be very happy there.
H.A. Blackthorn said…
That house is precious! I would kill to live someplace like that. He's lucky to have such a generous, caring mother.
Mystica said…
Its such a beautiful home.
It's a little doll house, Joyce. Lucky, lucky blog tech! :)
Autumn Rose said…
Wow, awesome place. The courtyard and view from the back knocks me out. But I will say that the chandelier in the bathroom gave me a chuckle. Yep, blog tech is very lucky!
Ina in Alaska said…
I love this house and all its' charm. I could live in it myself. Love the chandeliers, the little old lady had great style. I would be interested in what you find out about her.

Lots of stairs... that is probably what did that old gal in.

And now you know those hardwood floors would survive flooding!!!
What a beautiful house and what a very lucky kid!
Gabi said…
Very,very beautiful and cosy.
Greetings from Germany
jody said…
love the house and im sure the blog tec will too! its very charming with great little nooks here and there! and perfect low maintance yard! enjoy!!
luckybunny said…
It's an adorable place, really nice... but 7 children? Yikes.