Monday, March 18, 2013

Asian Cucumber Salad Recipe

 Today we are getting an ice storm.  It looks like this weather will be hanging around for a while.


This morning I made the Asian Cucumber salad for my daughter's event.  This will be served in a cup with a meatball baked in Cherry chipotle BBQ sauce on top of it.
 This is an easy, refreshing salad that will last for days in the fridge. I will give you the recipe for one salad since I made about 5 times that much.  Thinly slice 2 large English cucumbers, sprinkle them with salt and let them sit in a colander for about 15 minutes.  Rinse with cold water and drain.

Thinly slice 1 red pepper.  In  a bowl, mix 1/4 C. of rice vinegar, a dash of fish sauce, 2 T. sesame oil, 1 tsp. of honey and some red pepper flakes.  Use as many flakes as you like.  I only used a small amount so these would not be too spicy.
I put them in  a ziplock bag in a bowl so I can turn them over occasionally, allowing them to marinate evenly.  This is a good summertime picnic recipe since it has no mayonnaise in it.

13 comments:

Joy said...

Yum! This looks delicious...very similar to my Asian pickles I like to use on top of my noodle dishes. :-)

Patty Woodland said...

Sounds yummy. I'll have to keep it in mind for when the cucumbers come in

Barbara F. said...

I am so making these, I will munch on them as a snack since I am strictly watching my diet! xo

thecottagebythecranelaketwo said...

Looks nice and I think it tastes even better :-)

We're having a storm at the moment and it will stay for a couple of days, thankfully we'll miss most of the snow :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Glad to see you post.

Here, we are to get 100% snow tonight, and 100% ice pellets on tues. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Poor Teddy! ,-)

Laurie said...

this sounds lovely light and refreshing, thats a whole lot of cucumbers!

Nellie said...

What a tasty idea with the meatball!

TARYTERRE said...

The ice here was terrible on the cars today. Hope yours wasn't as bad. The cucumber salad sounds tasty.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nice and colourful!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Looks delicious I also like the idea of using it as a summer salad! Hope your daughter enjoys her last event!

Deb said...

I made this yesterday and it was loved by all, including vegetable-finicky teenagers. Many thanks!

luckybunny said...

I'd love this, know that. Will make it for sure!

jody said...

another yum! reminds me of a kimchi cucumber i make! i bet its wonderful with the meatballs...! congrats to your daughter! i bet shes beyond excited, happy ect!!