Corned Beef and Cabbage and Irish Soda Bread Recipe



My city celebrates St. Patrick's Day in a big way.  One of the biggest in the country.  And when St. Patty's Day falls on a weekend, well...look out!  It will be a 3 day celebration.  I like to bring a bit of celebration to the shelter so The Blog Tech and I made a huge pot of corned beef and cabbage and lots of soda bread.  We delivered it this morning and they are eating it as I type.
You can find the recipe here: Corned Beef
I used 6 corned beefs and 8 heads of cabbage.
I found corned beef on sale for 1.38 per pound which was a really great deal.
The cabbage was 9 cents per pound!
The Blog Tech has been a big help.  He was busy for a while with moving and classes but he has a break now and has really embraced this work.  A second pair of hands has cut my prep time dramatically.
We cut everything into uniform dice and cut the cabbage into about 2 inch squares.
This is out of order but here is the lineup.  We used turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots, onions and celeriac.
And about 20 pounds of potatoes.
I simmered the beef for about 4 hours along with some vegetables.  Then I removed the meat, cut off all the fat, sliced it thinly, strained the stock and added the meat back into the pot with all the vegetables. This cooked for about an hour.

 When it was ready, the guys lugged it out to the car.  It was really heavy.

Groaning was involved.  We made over 50 quarts.
I also made lots of soda bread.  If you want a really good recipe for soda bread you can find it here:  http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/search?q=soda+bread

Comments

Mother Moon said…
I forgot how wonderful your food pictures are.... Corned Beef and Cabbage is one of my faves.. A must for St. Pattys Day... blessings
brokenteepee said…
I love corned beef and cabbage! I'm sure the shelter guys enjoyed it too!
TARYTERRE said…
My husband loves corned beef. And the good Irish girl, me hates it. 50 quarts and groaning makes you all saints.
chickpea678 said…
Where do you find your sales? I've never made corned beef. Is that the cut I ask for at the meat counter?
My husband likes this, a lot more than I do. So he isn't cooking it. A down-home local diner is cooking/serving it, on Fri. and Sat. Then on Sun., they are doing only pre-ordered take out dinners. We are getting them.

I figure that after cooking/serving it for 2 days, they'll really have it right, by Sun. lol.

And I also bet, these people don't want to smell it again, till next year!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may feel the same way!!!!!!!!!!
Sure and 'tis the angels themselves who'll bless ye for yer shelter work, you and the husband transporter and the wee Blog Tech.

Happy Irish Heritage Day!

As they say in Gailec, "Beannachtaí na Féile Páraic oraibh!" St. Patrick's Day Blessings upon you!
luckybunny said…
I bet everyone really loved that!! It looks so good, and the bread- yum! I'm so glad you did have some help with the lifting, WOW!
Barb said…
Bless you guys!!! I'll be following your recipe tomorrow!!!
Anonymous said…
Yummy!

Love this but makes it way too seldom.
Seems I'm back online again :-) Been online for almost an hour and no signs of my senile computer wanting to toss me out again :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Nellie said…
I just cannot find the bargains you do! That is a wonderful meal for the shelter!
Kristy said…
One of your readers shared your page with me and I'm so glad she did! What a wonderful meal to make and share...love that! (We had Corned Beef and Cabbage this week too...YUM!)
Best to you!
Carl Belken said…
What you and your family have chosen to do is a beautiful thing. May God above richly bless ye and keep ye. Gracie