Braiding Garlic

 The large and the small of my garden.  The big tomato is over 4 inches in diameter.  The small ones are hybrid Black Cherry Tomatoes which I planted for the first time this year.  They are very sweet and are my favorites.

 After drying my garlic for a few days, it was time for some braiding.

 Using a vegetable brush, clean off the dirt.

 Trim off the roots.

 Place one large bulb in the middle flanked by two smaller ones. (notice my thumb works! not as good as it used to but not too bad!)

 Tie these tightly together with a twist tie.

 Place another large bulb on top of the three and right in the middle. The stalk should be right in the middle.

 Cross the stalk on the right over the middle stalks.

 Place a new bulb to the left and aline it's stalk with the middle.

 Repeat until you have used all the garlic and then continue to braid the leaves. Tie together at the end with twine.

 I'm not going to win a gold ribbon in garlic braiding but this will work.

Hang it somewhere to dry. 

Comments

brokenteepee said…
Himself will be doing this soon...unless the garlic just dries up 'cause he's still fighting the fire
Sunnybrook Farm said…
You are doing great! Our tomatoes have not done well in the constant rain and the garlic died. We have had golf ball size tomatoes so your large one looks wonderful.
Britt-Arnhild said…
My tomatoes are still green, inside the greenhouse :-)

I like your garlic braid.
I love the color of those hybrid Black Cherry Tomatoes! Never have seen them, before. Little red ones, but not these, in this beautiful dark color.

Next door has cherry tomatoes. No regular tomatoes here, yet. But then, he starts all his stuff, from seeds. That's our excuse and we're sticking to it. ,-)

Very pretty garlic braid. Never knew how to do this, either.
Barb said…
The braided garlic even looks pretty!
Nellie said…
Well, I think you've done a wonderful job with the braiding.
Guillaume said…
Easy joke: you won't get any vampires around. Every time I see garlic hanging like this, I think about vampires.
TARYTERRE said…
That is so neat. I've never braided garlic.
ChgoJohn said…
Now that's something to see! Looks like a great harvest. Thanks for the tutorial.
What a lovely blog you have here:) Do you have bloglovin to follow with??

Check out my blog...If you want some cute Swedish decor inspiration:)

Have a grea weekend dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(sweden)