Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sauerkraut Pork Kielbasa and Biscuits

Sauerkraut is a traditional meal to serve on New Years Day and is said to bring good luck in the new year.  So, I made a lot of it for the shelter.  My ovens were finally fixed on Monday so I am good to go once again.
 I bought 4 pork loin roasts and browned them in a heavy pot.

 I put some sauerkraut on the bottom of the restaurant pans and placed the roasts, some smoked ham and some smoked turkey necks on top of it.  I added some beef stock.

 I covered the meat with more sauerkraut and some diced apples. I added some granulated garlic and minced dried onion, salt and pepper, caraway seeds and brown sugar.  This baked at 300 degrees for about 6 hours. I removed the roasts and sliced them very thin and returned the pork to the sauerkraut. I refrigerated it overnight and finished it this morning.

 Before reheating it, I added about 8 pounds of kielbasa sliced thin and 2 cups of sour cream to each pan.

 About 30 minutes before it was finished heating, I removed it from the oven and turned the ovens to 350 degrees.

 I topped each pan with biscuit dough.  I just made a simple parsley and black pepper biscuit dough.

After baking, I spread the tops with melted butter and sprinkled them with paprika.  This recipe made 50 quarts.

Here's wishing you a very Happy New Year!

22 comments:

sandra hagan said...

WHEW!

Dee said...

I am just hearing about this dish for good luck. Being born and raised in the south, it was always black eyed peas and turnip greens! Looks good though. I love learning about traditions in other parts of the country.

jody said...

looks so good! bet it smells wonderful in your kitchen! enjoy your day!!

Laurie said...

wow, that was a lot of work! Sounds amazing! Happy New Year to you and your family !

Nellie said...

The shelter is certainly going to have a Happy New Year's Day!

Patty Woodland said...

I am so glad your ovens are fixed! You must be thrilled.

Happy New Year

Debra She Who Seeks said...

If anyone needs good luck for the year, it's the shelter guys. May 2014 be a better year for all!

So glad your ovens got fixed -- finally, eh? Happy New Year!

Laura said...

Glad your ovens are fixed! I know that was a real pain for you waiting on them. Now I'm craving sauerkraut!
Happy New Year!
blessings
~*~

ps...hugs to Teddy!

thecottagebythecranelaketwo said...

Sauerkraut isn't traditional here and come to think of it I actually don't know of any traditional food aroundn new year. Must check if we have any :-)

Have a good continuing of then new year!
Christer.

Earlene said...

It looks so good!!! YUM!!!! I love saurkraut.

Hippo said...

Pork and sauerkraut in the same sentence has me slavering like a Nile crocodile. Just can't get sauerkraut here and I am not sure how to make it in a hot country.

The traditional dish here in Angola is Bacalhão com Natas, dried salted cod (soaked and rinsed a few times) with cream and potatoes, deelish!

Guillaume said...

Can you put something else than ham? I love sauerkraut, but hate ham.

Jim said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am now very hungry thanks to you and this wonderful recipe!! I bet this was a hit at the shelter.
have a very Happy New Year! And always good to see you at 'my post'.

TARYTERRE said...

I did not know sauerkraut is a traditional meal to serve on New Years Day and is said to bring good luck. Thanks for the information. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

NanaDiana said...

My husband would love this. Shall I send him over for a plate?;>) xo Diana

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

My son and his wife fix New Years dinner for the family and it's something like this..but I don't remember what it is called but I think it's different than yours. I will have to have Cheryl look at this recipe. It sounds wonderful.
I hope your day was nice and a great start to the new year before us.
Love,
Mona

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Oops! Black eyed pea's and turnip greens...where I got the idea it was something like this dish you cooked..I have NO idea! :) It's for good luck too. (they are going to tease me about this one!) :)

Kay said...

Wow! You are such an amazing cook! My husband is a fan of sauerkraut.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Wow you work so hard for the shelter and this looks delicious. Have a fantastic 2014. Diane

luckybunny said...

Drooling here - WOW

Jennifer said...

That sounds soooo good! This far south, we eat greens (turnip or collard) and black eyed peas on new year's day. But I love sauerkraut with any sort of pork, now I'm craving it. Mmmm!

chickpea678 said...

Yum! What a good way for the shelter to start their new year! Sounds and looks delicious!