Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lamb Curry

I made a good lamb curry a couple days of ago when it was a bitterly cold.  I served it with some naan I made and chutney and lime pickle.
 First I cubed about 2 pounds of lamb and placed it in a ziplock baggie.  I added 1 large diced onion and some curry spices which I toasted and then ground.  You can just use curry powder. I added one diced jalapeno because it is what I had on hand but you can omit the spiciness or add some diced peppers of your choice.

 This goes in the fridge for 24 hours.

 I heated some ghee in a heavy pot and then added the marinated meat mixture.

 Cook it over medium high heat until the meat browns.  Season with salt and pepper. Add 4 diced cloves of garlic.

 Add 1 cup of stock.  I made lamb stock out of the bones but you could use chicken stock.  Add 1 can of coconut milk.

 Cover this and cook in a 275 degree oven for 3 hours.

 Taste for seasoning and alter it if necessary.  The meat should be incredibly tender and flavorful.  Serve it with rice and lime wedges.

9 comments:

jody said...

Boy, you have continued to cook up a storm( no pun intended but i see you have snow! ) i love shrimp but have actually never had gritts and love curry but never had lamb! May have to give these a try as they look wonderful as all your dishes! Beautiful flowers from your blog tec! Enjoy!!

TARYTERRE said...

I LOVE lamb anyway you cook it. This looks fabulous.

Patty Woodland said...

I have never been a big fan of curry

thecottagebythecranelaketwo said...

I love lamb and I love curry but I don't think I've ever had them together :-) This is what I'll do next time I buy lamb!

Have a great day!
Christer.

laurie mckinght said...

I have never made or eaten curry, can you imagine, lol, this sounds amazing and I think I smell it all the way up here in Canada!!!!

Hippo said...

To those who have never eaten lamb curry... Try this one!

Guillaume said...

I love a good curry, I love lamb, even though I feel guilty eating it. I would love to try this.

luckybunny said...

That looks so,so, good..

Nellie said...

Yum! What a treat!