Peregrine Falcons

I have a couple of Peregrine Falcons haunting all of the birds in my gardens.  I will try to get a pic of them.  All I managed to get was a photo of a bird that landed on their tree after I scared them away.  That tree to the left is the highest tree on my property and it is where they sit to look for their dinner.  You can read about them here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_Falcon 
They nest on the skyscrapers in the city and apparently have found my hidden niche of exotic birds that live in my gardens.  Why eat pigeons when you can eat Tanagers?  If the eat any of Teddy's bad kitties will will have a real problem.  They are so big that Teddy chased after them barking.
I guess I am rushing the season but I planted my first flowers yesterday.  These are Shasta Daisey's.

And I potted some Anemones.

Part of my garden experiment for this year are these pots. I have planted them with radish and carrot seeds.

I've planted them in circles and spaced them so there should virtually be no thinning. In a little over a month I should be able to harvest and then plant the pots with something else.

I found these growing all over my dead river birch.

My Wisteria and Clematis growing up the pergola.  The wisteria roots never cease to amaze me with the way they twist and take over everything they grow on.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oooo, I love those pots!!!!! the roots are amazing, that first photo is beautiful , I suppose everything is looking for their supper, too bad the falcons wouldd't eat a few sea gulls or starlings!theres lots of those!!!they must be too clever!
Nellie said…
We have noticed an increase in the crow population here, plus the pigeons have moved away from downtown just like a lot of other things. We haven't ever seen falcons here, though we do have hawks and buzzards.
Barb said…
Your potting bench looks great- very Spring-like. The pots should be a success. A lady at our local garden center grows everything in large pots. She has some kind of very bad clay called dead pan. That's about 6-12 inches below ground level so everything you plant drowns so she has pots all over her yard and grows an entire veggie garden.
Anonymous said…
Peregrine Falcons are very rare here but I think they've managed to save them from extinction now, pesticides killed almost all of them over here. Beautiful birds!

Those funguses are beautiful on trees but they always mean that the tree is dying or already dead. I see lots of them on fallen trees here too.

You will have good harvest of vegetables in those pots, I almost started planting onions today but realised I need to buy more soil to put in my vegetable garden before I plant anything there.

Have a great day!
Christer.
Mary Ann said…
I will be looking for falcon pictures!
thewiildmagnola said…
you must be wild with delight, outside and digging in the soil for a change. leaving the pots and pans quiet.

spring is here in the the south, thats what they are calling it, but it is really summer.

falcons are good hunters.
Guillaume said…
We had peregrim falcons in the back garden of my parents' home in Chicoutimi. We had many hawks showing up to lunch of the birds there.
Peregrine falcons? Are you living in the Middle Ages?
brokenteepee said…
Raptors are fascinating birds
TARYTERRE said…
We have a couple of Peregrine Falcons downtown. They have a nest there. Hope you get a picture of yours. LOVE those wisteria roots.