Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Baked Beans with Brown Bread

What is good to eat with the wonderful Nova Scotia brown bread I posted yesterday?  Baked beans of course!
 These are so easy to make.  Why not give them a try for memorial day?  Saute' a large diced onion, 1 green pepper (diced) and a poblano pepper (diced), in a few tablespoons of oil.  Bacon grease is even better if you have some.

 Add 4 cans of beans, your choice.  I used great northern, black beans and pinto beans.

 Add 1 C. of BBQ sauce.  I used my maple barbecue sauce from one of my maple trips.

 Add 1/2 C. of brown sugar.

 Next, 1/4 C. of cider vinegar.

 2 tsp. of dijon mustard

Add 2 tablespoons of chili powder, 2 tablespoons of cumin and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.

 Add 1-2 tsp. of liquid smoke.  Add S&P to taste.

 Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours.

For the last half hour, I added some sliced knockwurst.  You can add hot dogs or any kind of sausage you like.

I served it with a big slice of the Nova Scotia brown bread and a scoop of macaroni salad.  I had some happy boys when they saw this.

12 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Me I'm not into beans. BUT... My husband would LOVE this.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Now I want baked beans too.

Laurie M said...

I can imagine you did! I must try this method of bake beans, I always soak dried beans, then boil, then bake, hours it takes, I never thought of using canned!!!!You certainly make them tasty!!!!You have a very creative mind you do!The liquid smoke, wow, that would be something tasty, we just bake them with bacon on top, bacon in them,

Patty Woodland said...

I suspect you always have happy boys

thecottagebythecranelaketwo said...

This looks yummy!

Over here baked beans are either white or brown, I don't think peiople even can imagine any other kind of bean as baked :-) :-) :-) Thank god for immigrants that has opened our eyes for new ideas!

Thislook like something In would like during summer!

Have a great day!
Christer.

Jim said...

I would say they were happy! This looks so good and you are right they would go so well with the brown bread!! Thanks.

Nellie said...

Perfect!

Guillaume said...

I would love to try, seems both hearty and summery.

chickpea678 said...

This is on the menu for one day this week. I have bacon drippings and this would be a great way to use it!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Our entire family loves beans..they are going to love these! (I always have bacon grease. It comes in handy!

luckybunny said...

Now I want this right now - it's all I can think about!

Kay said...

You are THE MOST INCREDIBLE cook!!!