The Best Hot Dog Buns

It seems that each time I make hot dogs or sausages, I try a new bun recipe.  I am now making all of the bread we eat. After working at the shelter, I have developed an aversion to store bought bread of any kind.  The shelter has a bread room and when you walk in, all you smell are the chemicals in the bread.  I can hardly walk down the bread aisle at the grocery store because of this smell. Anyway, I have been on a quest to find the perfect hot dog bun recipe.  Most of the ones I've made in the past are too heavy for hot dogs.  This one is perfect:

2 T. sugar
2 scant T. rapid rise yeast
1/2 C. water
2 C. milk
2 T. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
6-7 C. flour

Pour the milk and butter into the bowl of your mixer.  Add the yeast, salt, oil and sugar.  Turn on your mixer and slowly add the flour until a smooth ball forms.  Add 6 cups and then only add as much of the additional cup as you need to form a ball.  Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.  Dump the dough onto your counter and divide it into about 14 to 16 rolls depending on the size of the sausage or hot dogs you will be serving.  Brush the rolls with a glaze of 1 egg mixed with 1 T. of water.  Sprinkle with a topping of your choice. Cover these with oiled plastic wrap and let rise about 30 minutes.  Preheat the oven  to 400 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes until they are golden and look like the above photo.  Let cool on a rack.  These freeze very well.  They are light and fluffy and have a wonderful flavor.

I took my chocolate chip cookies to the meeting I had the other day.

And I also took them a loaf of my rosemary bread.  Meetings are so boring.  Food always makes them more interesting!

Comments

brokenteepee said…
So true - meetings are boring. I made pretzel hot dog buns. They were dense but they were really good with a spicy hot dog
Anonymous said…
it all looks wonderful, I love Rosemary bread, I know the smell you speak of when referring to store bought bread, its an odd smell, sour chemically smell, I notice especially if we toast it, I no longer make all our bread although I id for years, now we buy most of our bread from a German bakery , they have the very best bread in town, very busy place, they use unbleached flours and natural yeast, they also list all the ingredients on the paper bags, I suppose that's why they are so busy, of course you buy a loaf of Styrofoam bread at the store for 2.50 but we don't mind paying extra for real food, your cookies look so good, I bet that made for a great meeting!
Alicia Foodycat said…
I'm always on the lookout for a light, fluffy but unchemically hotdog bun, so I am very pleased to have this recipe!
Kay said…
Wow! You make your own buns too? That is incredible. Those cookies made my mouth water. I'll bet everybody wants you at their meetings.
Nellie said…
More beautiful things coming from your kitchen! I've never tried hot dog buns, though I've made my own finger rolls.
Anonymous said…
Absolutely true, food makes any boring meeting so much better :-)

I have to admit that I'm just too lazy to make hotdog breads. I blame it on the fact that I rareky eat it :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
I don't think I've ever had a homemade hotdog bun in my entire life.
Guillaume said…
Funny, I had hot dogs recently. But the buns were not nearly as nice as these.
I KNOW I have never had a homemade hotdog bun! You are the very most amazingest woman! I love hotdogs and these buns have to be the topper for a delicious hotdog! Wow!
Texan said…
They look so good! My honeyman would love these I am sure!
Unknown said…
Hello New reader here. I love you blog so many good things here.
I'm wondering what did you top your hot dog buns with?
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
TARYTERRE said…
The buns, the rosemary bread and the cookies all look delicious. Food definitely makes any event joyful.