Thai Larb

One of my family's favorite dinners is Thai larb.  We went to a dinner party recently where the family hired a Thai chef to prepare the meal.  She made the best larb which I duplicated the next day.
 Place 1-1/2 pounds of cubed raw chicken in the bowl of your food processor.  Add 1/2 C. of coarsely chopped shallots, 2 T. lemongrass (I used paste), 1 small red Thai chili, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tsp. fish sauce, 1/3 C. fresh cilantro, 1 tsp. salt and 3 T. sesame oil.

 Pulse until chicken is the consistency of ground meat and everything is combined.

 In a separate bowl, whisk 1/3 C. fresh lime juice with 2 tsp. fish sauce, 2 T. brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. sriracha.

 Cook the chicken mixture in a heavy fry pan until cooked through.  Add the sauce and cook for an additional minute.

 Serve on lettuce leaves topped with some chopped peanuts and lime wedges.  You spoon some of the meat mixture onto a lettuce leaf, squeeze some lime juice on it, roll the lettuce and eat it.  A great low carb meal.

Comments

Anonymous said…
sounds wonderful, a great summer food!
Anonymous said…
This is a must try, as soon as it isn't hellish hopt any longer :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
DeniseinVA said…
I have never come across this recipe before. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it :)
Joy said…
Bookmarked! Sounds absolutely delicious! :-)
Guillaume said…
More exotic food. Healthy too.
TARYTERRE said…
That looks yummy. Love the idea of eating it in the lettuce leaves.
I will never make it. I already know I won't because there are a couple of ingredients that intimidate me. :) When I don't recognize the name of something I slowly back away across the room and tippy toe out the door and let someone else make it. Just call me the "cooking coward" and you would be right. I am.
However, doesn't mean I don't like to read about them.. interesting dish. Sounds good..and I love chicken no matter what.
Alicia Foodycat said…
I love larb! Such a great idea having a Thai chef prepare your dinner party. That is a dinner I would like to go to!