A Festival in the Woods

 We went to a wonderful festival on Saturday.  I think this type of festival is my favorite kind.  Everyone exhibiting here must replicate their craft exactly the way these crafts were done during the time period they represent.

 
 Just hangin' out around the fire.

 Learning how to cut stone.

 Click for a closer look.

 A trapper.

And he was very happy to show us his pelts and tell us all about them.

 These mushrooms were growing all over the woods.  They were pretty but probably deadly.


 This woodcarver was so talented.

 An herbalist was selling her potions.

 An apple press for making apple butter.

 There was entertainment too.

 Beautiful pottery.

 An you could watch the potter throwing her pots.

 Where the locals eat.

 Brooms.

 The broommakers equipment.

 This booth was cooking ham and bean soup in big cauldrons over open fires.

 Little boys in semi period costumes.

 This is a version of maple syrup on snow.

 Beautiful, intricate barn stars.

 You could observe coopering at this booth.

 Buckets, wash tubs and butter churns.

 Almost every booth had it's own fire.

Learning how to survey.  More to come tomorrow.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh my gosh what an amazing place to visit, wow, I would love to go there, I would love a broom and a star, and, well I would love this place!!!
Anonymous said…
That's definetly a festival I would love to go to! Lots of thinbgs I would like to have there :-)

But the Barn stars caught my eye. We always have lit up stars hanging in our windows from First of Advent and many are made from wood and look much like there, smaller though :-)

What a wood carver! and I've always wondered how they make those brooms!

Have a great day!
Christer.
Sunnybrook Farm said…
Reminds me of some of the things at our festival. It is getting hard to find crafts people with experience to present their crafts.
Debby said…
Sure reminds me of The Back Woods Fest. I think I said that last year. Can't wait on the Country Living Fair this week-end.
Ellen in Oregon said…
I would have loved to visit this fair. The level of craftsmanship is wonderful. The stars really caught my eye & I would love to have a few of those larger decorate my walls/windows at Christmas. What a great fair with lots of talented artisans. Thanks for showing us all the wonderful crafts. You don't see crafts like those being made out West. Too little history & traditions I thinks. This month there will be lots of microbrew fests & winery grape stomping going on (if you like that kind of thing), I'd pick a craft fair every time.
Guillaume said…
Oh I LOVE these pics and festivals set in woodlands. They remind me of the rangers gatherings in my Dungeons & Dragons games (geeky moment here).
Mary Ann said…
Oh, gosh, the barn stars and the woodcarvers! Is it cold there yet?
Barb said…
Very interesting!
So lovely, how I wished to be there, nothing like being in the woods - my kind of festival too!
So lovely, how I wished to be there, nothing like being in the woods - my kind of festival too!
TARYTERRE said…
I love that painted horse. And I'd like one of those brooms. Looks like a great festival.
brokenteepee said…
Looks like it was a really great festival. I love the potter. I wish I had such talent. I'm a sucker for pottery
Amanda said…
I'll take one of everything!! I love it!!