Sunday, January 11, 2015

Blueberry Maple Steel Cut Oats

 Quaker is now making steel cut oats.  A perfect breakfast for a frigid Sunday morning.

 Boil 4 cups of water.

 Pour in 1 cup of steel cut oats. Let this simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes.  Give it an occasional stir.  Once it starts to thicken, add 1/3 cup of brown sugar.

 After 30 minutes, gently stir in some berries.  I used some of the blueberries that The Blog Tech and I picked last summer.

 Keep warm until you serve them.

 Scoop some into a warm bowl.


And drizzle them with maple syrup.  A warm blanket in a bowl.

11 comments:

greekwitch said...

You froze them yourself? I have never thought of that, as i have never thought of putting the squash in the microwave for a couple of minutes to peel it easier. Do you think it can work with tomatoes too?
I am so going to experiment today with my microwave. I love learning tricks!!!

thecottagebythecranelaketwo said...

I had semolina porridge instead, mostly because I didn't have any oats at home :-)
Power and water is back to normal again, I hope we won't have any storm like this in a very long time again :-)

'Have a great day!
Christer.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Looks good!

Guillaume said...

That looks really delicious. You make me want to make more desserts and meals with blueberries, the emblematic fruit of my region.

Laurie M said...

yum, I have oats every morning a blanket in a bowl, I like that!

Mary Ann said...

A perfect breakfast for my husband!

1st Man said...

We just had it this morning! Though I didn't know Quaker had steel cut now. We usually get McCann's. I would guess there is pretty much no difference.

We used some dewberries we had in the freezer.

Love it! The description of a warm blanket is perfect.

Alice said...

I've often made oatmeal in my mini crock-pot the night before and its ready to eat in the morning. Yes, there is some waste where it sticks to the side but worth it to have a hot breakfast ready to eat. plus you could probably give the crusty bit to your pigs or horses and they would love it.

TARYTERRE said...

A recipe straight out of my childhood. I can almost taste it.

Kay said...

This looks like a fun change from our regular oatmeal.

Patty Woodland said...

The hubby would love this. His favorite fruit is blueberries