Homemade Gyros

 We love gyros but we rarely buy them because they always seem to be filled with greasy mystery meat.  I was thinking about them the other day and realized, why don't I just make my own and then I can control what goes into them.  They turned out to be excellent, best gyros ever!  Start by roughly chopping 1 medium yellow onion and putting it in your food processor.  Add 7 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp. paprika, 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, 1 tsp. of ground cumin, 2 tsp. fresh thyme, 1 tsp. of oregano 1 tsp. sea salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add 2 pounds of ground lamb and pulse it until you have a paste.  Put it in a loaf pan and press down to get all of the air bubbles out. Bake at 400 degrees for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.  The internal temperature should be 165 degrees.

 When it is done cooking, refrigerate it until it is cold.

 Sorry for the blur, I did a really bad job of taking photos for this post.  Once the loaf is cold, slice it thinly and brown the slices in a skillet with a small bit of olive oil.

 I made tzatziki sauce to go with the gyros.  Cut a cucumber in half and scoop out the seeds.

 Grate it and place it in a towels and squeeze it dry.

 Squeeze 1/2 lemon into a bowl.

 Add 1 pint of Greek yogurt, the cucumber, 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 T. diced fresh dill and 1 T. diced fresh mint. 

 Season with salt and pepper and stir it all together.

I made garlic naan to serve it in.  And I forgot to take a pic of the finished gyro.  You need to form a mental picture here but I laid the warm gyro slices down the middle of the warm naan and topped it with lettuce and feta cheese which was sprinkled with a bit of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.  The tzatziki was served on the side to spoon on before you took each bite. I will post the naan recipe soon.  It is so good and so easy that I have made it several times in the last few days.

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow, big job but looks and sounds wonderful. I have never eaten this but I have heard of them, there is no whree in this town to buy something like this so I would have no choice but to make it myself, but like you said at least you know whats in it!
I don't like gyros (or donairs as they're called in Canada) precisely because of that "mystery meat." But I'd try one of yours!
Anonymous said…
I have never eaten a gyro! Looks like something I would love though!
7As You say, better to make them onself so one knows what's in them!

Have a great day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
Home made gyros? Yum!
I am pinning this recipe and making it this weekend. I LOVE lamb and can't wait!
Mary Ann said…
h my gosh, gyros are our favorite sandwich EVER! I have never, ever tried to make them at home, and we rarely get them these days. We lived by the best gyros in the world in Lake Villa, Illinois, when Keith was finishing his army career. He actually had to take a trip up that way once, and drove 50 miles out of his way to have a gyro at Sammy's!
Tristan Robin said…
MMMMM - I'll be over at 7!
Nellie said…
Quite an undertaking! It sounds absolutely delicious!
Alicia Foodycat said…
Yum! What a clever way to do it!
Lady M said…
definitely something I will try - I love lamb
Dog Trot Farm said…
Looks delicious Joyce, especially enjoyed on a cold winters day...
greekwitch said…
This is the first time I heard of this version of gyros! I only knew of the Greek one which is very well cooked tiny pieces of pork. But this looks fantastic! Seems like the best meat loaf ever! My stomach is making funny noises, my salad does not feel like a proper dinner anymore!! I am hungry again!
TARYTERRE said…
You are talking my kind of meal. My mouth is watering.
Okay...I hate to admit it, but I've never had a Gyro that I can remember. Which means that if I did, it was not too memorable. I know I won't try this rescipe..but, OH, HOW I wish I was there to have a bite of yours!! I doubt other Gyro's would never compare with yours after that! I would be spoiled for life! (Did I say "a bite?" :)