Indian Potatoes

Here is another dish to serve with naan and it is delicious.  I am enjoying my winter CSA so much because each week when I pick up my box, I have to figure out how to use the contents. This last week's box had a bag of new potatoes and a head of cabbage and the first thing I thought of was Indian food. My daughter loves Indian potatoes so it was a no brainer.
 Start by soaking some dry red chilies in 1 cup of hot water.  3 or 4 will do the trick.

 Dice 4 large red potatoes into small chunks and let them sit in cold water.

 Roughly chop 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro and put it in your food processor with 4 cloves of garlic and the red chilies.  Reserve the chili water and remove the seeds unless you want the dish to be very spicy.  Pulse until it is pureed.

Saute the mixture in 2 tablespoons of oil for a couple minutes.
 Add the drained potatoes and stir to coat them.  Add 1/4 tsp. of turmeric.

 Add the reserved chili water, bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

 Add 1 chicken bouillon cube.

 Add 1 cup of buttermilk.

 And 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.

 Simmer for about 5 more minutes.  Taste and add some salt if needed.

 I served it with an Indian cabbage recipe which I will post later.  We like to spread the naan with chutney and lime pickle and use it to scoop up the potatoes.




Comments

TARYTERRE said…
I LOVE Indian food. Those potatoes are scrumptious.
Anonymous said…
this sounds so good, so exotic
( to me, lol, ), I would love to try this,
Sunnybrook Farm said…
I have had something very similar to these if not the same thing and it is very good!
Guillaume said…
Strange, cabbage is not the first thing I think about when I think Indian food. I never thought it would go in an Indian dish, actually.
Now THAT'S how taters should be eaten!
Anonymous said…
I do like Indian food but it usually doesn't look especially nice :-) Most tend tto look brownish :-) This looks yummy so I might try it next time I want something Indian spicy!

Have a great day!
Christer.
Julie Ferguson said…
Fantastic! Another way to make potatoes that looks so yummy.
1st Man said…
We love cilantro so this looks wonderful. Can't wait to see the cabbage post too. Now I'm hungry...(as I shout into the other room, 'whats for dinner??')
Hmmm..I used to have a little can of turmeric and one day one of my daughters started looking though my spices..and said.."Mom, do you know you have spices in here that expired back in 1958?" I answered "Really?" She gave me a curious look and threw it into the trash can.
I won't make this recipe probably but it sure looks tasty..(naturally!) :)
Kay said…
You make the most delicious looking dishes.