Friday, February 6, 2015

Palak Paneer

 My all time favorite Indian food is palak paneer.  I used the paneer I posted yesterday in this recipe.  Start by blanching a large bag of spinach.

 Place it in your food processor.

 Puree it.

 Dice a large onion and about 6 garlic cloves.  Saute them in several tablespoons of ghee.

 Add 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger, 1 tsp. of red pepper paste, 1 tsp. of ground coriander, 1 tsp. of ground cumin, 1/2 tsp. of turmeric, 1/4 tsp. of dried fenugreek, 1 tsp. of garam masala and a pinch of asafoetida.  Continue to cook and stir until it becomes very aromatic, this takes a couple minutes.

 Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper.

 Stir in the pureed spinach.

 Add 1 cup of whole milk.

 And 3 tablespoons of cream.

Cube the paneer and gently stir it into the spinach.  I served this with lime basmati rice and raita.

12 comments:

Robin Larkspur said...

I wish I could be adventurous in my cooking.

sandra said...

That must taste amazinggg! :o

sweetlocal said...

That looks so good!

thecottagebythecranelakethree said...

This looks yummy. Most Indian food doesn't to be honest but thankfully it usually taste delicious :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Packed with nutrients too, all that spinach and cheese.

Prairie Stitcher said...

I'm really enjoying your blog. So glad to know about Paneer. I have a tofu maker that I haven't used yet. Need some courage, I think, to get started. Will definitely try the paneer. Thanks so much. Do come by and visit us at Prairie Cottage Corner. We'll have a virtual scone and a cup of something warm..... Kathie at prairiestitcher at centurytel dot net

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love palak paneer! This looks just wonderful.

Guillaume said...

Is it me or you are into Indian food these days?

TARYTERRE said...

I like Indian food too but have never heard of this. Sounds good.

Kay said...

What an interesting looking dish. However, there are so many ingredients that I don't think I've ever heard of. It must be delicious.

Deb said...



This is my absolute favorite! My local Indian calls it "saag paneer". I must make this. Thanks for the great recipe (one of many).

sandra hagan said...

i love this! Thank you!