Homemade Cinnamon Pop Tarts

When my kids were small, they always wanted Pop Tarts.  I rarely let them have them because I thought they were awful.  Eventually I started making them on my own and they are a million times better.  You can use your favorite pie crust or just buy store bought though you are then back into processed food which I try to avoid as much as possible.
 For the filling, mix 1/2 cup of brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of flour and 2 tsp. of cinnamon.

 Roll the dough out into a roughly 9X13 inch rectangle.

 Cut it into 9 equal pieces.  You might have to do a bit of patching like on the lower left. Brush the pieces with a mixture of 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of milk.  Roll another ball of dough and cut 9 more pieces.

The computer gods are playing with me again!  I can't get these photos to go up in order.  This is what they look like right out of the oven.
 And of course I forgot to take a pic of me filling them.  Just place a heaping tablespoon of the filling in the middle of the first 9 pieces. Spread it about 1/4 inch short of the edges. Place one of the second 9 pieces on top and pinch the edges with your fingers. Go around all of the edges crimping with a fork.  Brush with remaining egg mixture.  Pierce the top dough with a fork three times.  This will let the steam escape.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes until they are turning golden.  Cool them on a rack.


 Beat together 1 cup of confectioners sugar, 1 tsp. of vanilla extract, 1 tsp. of cinnamon and a few tablespoons of milk.  Spread over the top and let sit for a couple hours until the glaze firms up.


I made almost 40 of these for 16 kids and there was not one left.

Comments

Baking these must bring back a lot of memories for you of when your own kids were small!
Dee said…
Wonderful! I will be making these. Thanks for all your recipes.
Robin Larkspur said…
Those kids will never eat a store bought pop tart again!
TARYTERRE said…
I can see why those kids devoured them. YUMMY!
Leanna said…
Perfect for a cold morning, especially with hot cocoa.
Sandy Livesay said…
Jaz,

Thank you for another great recipe.
My son loves these and always wants me to buy them at the store. I always tell him no, now I can make him some.
Anonymous said…
I don't think I've ever have eaten a pop tart. Nothing in the back of my head says I've tried this :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
I always found pop tarts vile commercial, industrial pseudo calzone version of toasts. I never thought they could be homemade. And these looks delicious.
Nellie said…
No surprise that there was nothing left! Homemade is infinitely superior to what they have had before!
Dog Trot Farm said…
Yummy...lucky kids...
Looks sooo delicious..and good for you too. Wasn't that in a commercial I heard once? Never mind. I remember. It was in one of the "I LOVE LUCY" episodes. Vita vita vegamen?? :)
Kev Alviti said…
These look good, although I never really liked pop tarts, far too sugary for that time in the morning!
chickpea678 said…
Good grief these kids are lucky!