Perfect Polish Paska for Easter

I don't know what it is about Easter, but it sure brings out the Polish in me.  There is so much Polish food that I want to make and so little time.  I think it stems from the fact that I live amongst so many Eastern European descendants.
At this time of year, every church kitchen in the city is bustling with perogie and halushki makers. If you haven't placed your order by now, you are out of luck and better know how to make your own.

You can watch little old men and women walking out of bakeries carrying boxes tied up with string to hold them all together. The boxes are piled as high as the people carrying them. They are filled with paska, kolachki, paczki and cruellers. A sign that the lenten fast about to end.

I am having so much fun sharing these traditions with the kids at the community center.  They have never heard of any of these foods but I have built up food trust with them and they will now eat anything I send to them.

I made 6 of these paskas for them the other day.

They loved them, especially the frosted parts, just like kids everywhere!

Today I am baking them a ham and making my potato rolls.

They will have them for dinner tomorrow with more of their favorite maple baked beans.


You can find the paska recipe here:  http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2014/03/more-paska.html


Comments

Unknown said…
Beautiful! I am just getting ready to color eggs for Easter.
Anonymous said…
they are lovely, just like crowns, crowns of buttery sweet yeast dough, baked to perfection, those are some very lucky kids!!
We are perogie loving people in our family, Polish food is wonderful!
Yes, I just BET those kids have "food trust" with you -- everything you send them is delicious!
TARYTERRE said…
Such wonderful food. The kids are lucky you are exposing them to new things. Paska looks delicious.
Anonymous said…
The recipe for paska look very similar to a coffee bread we have here but allyear long. It's the orange we don't have and we rarely put frosting on anything else than danish pastry.

I haven't seen so beautiful ones as You show here though! The kids will love this :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
I love the decadent look. And the alliteration.
Barb said…
That all looks delicious. Up here, we have the Norwegian influence but it does seem to be mostly in December. There are lots of Norwegian foods available at that time.
Beautiful bread made by a beautiful soul! :)
Craig said…
I get the impression that you must spend 23 hours of each day in the kitchen to create such masterpieces. These look wonderful, especially with the icing.
Just beautiful! For some reason I often struggle with raised yeast breads. Lovely bread for Easter or anytime.
Joy said…
Happy Easter, Joyce! I actually haven't seen this bread here in Warsaw, but we do have babka, which is made in a special fluted bundt pan. They also sell a lot of the mazurka and makowiec (the Polish poppyseed bread). As always, your family is very lucky. :-)