The Best Hot Dog Buns

With Memorial Day on the horizon, I figured it was time to make hot dog buns.  We all love a good hot dog and eating them on homemade buns makes them so much better.
The recipe:

2 tablespoons  sugar
2-1/2 tsp. rapid rise yeast
1/2 cup water

2 cups  milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
6  cups  Flour
egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water


Mix everything except the egg wash until you have a smooth ball of dough.  Place it in a buttered bowl, cover and let it rise until doubled.  Dump it on a floured surface and cut it into 18 equal pieces.

Roll each piece out flat and then roll it into a tube.

Brush them with the egg wash and sprinkle them with any topping you like or leave them plain.

I place them close together because I like soft sides on the buns. Let them rise until they are puffy.

Bake them at 375 degrees for 25 minutes until they turn golden.

Let them cool on a rack.


The lighting in my kitchen was bad when I took this pic but you can see how they pull apart.

And here are the nice soft sides.

Comments

Guillaume said…
More bread? You make me so hungry! I could so have hotdogs tonight.
Anonymous said…
they look wonderful,
Are there sesame seeds and poppy seeds on top??
YUM!
Craig said…
They look wonderful! Your baking skills never cease to amaze me.
Those are GOURMET hot dog buns!
Anonymous said…
These look as if they would be great as sandwiches too, a bit thin perhaps :-) It's funny, I eat more hotdogs in winter than in summer because I grill them over the fire in my fire heated stove :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
TARYTERRE said…
YUMMY! I would put dried leeks or onions on top of mine.
Hot dogs are one of my favorite things. I think you have made these before..and soon as I am completely back on my feet, I am giving there a try..they are ..JUST BEAUTIFUL!! :)
chickpea678 said…
Can you make these for a class trip next week? We'll be having hot dogs round a campfire and these would be infinitesimally better than store bought.