A Cool Chow Chow and Spaghetti Salad

This is what Teddy does all day to stay cool.  I actually found her leaning on the fan yesterday.  This weather is horrible and she is one smart puppy! Cool stone, A/C and a fan blowing is Chow Chow heaven during hot weather. If I could just get her to go in the pool!
 With temps right around 100 degrees, I wanted to feed the kids something cool for their Wednesday lunch so I made them good old-fashioned spaghetti salad. I quadrupled the recipe to feed 30 kids so I will give you the instructions for 1 recipe.  Dice 1 onion, 1 zucchini, 1 cucumber, 3 stalks of celery, 1 green pepper, 1 can of black olives and 1 container of cherry tomatoes.

 Add 1/2 lb. of diced pepperoni and an 8 oz. block of cubed cheddar cheese.

 Boil 1 lb. of spaghetti until al dente and rinse with cold water.

 Toss it all around.

 Add 1-1/2 cups of Italian dressing.

 I made my own but most recipes call for a bottle of zesty Italian from the grocery store.

 Add 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and toss to coat all the spaghetti.

The Blog Tech said the kids devoured it.

Comments

Alicia Foodycat said…
Sensible dog! Probably better that she doesn't go in the pool - when we've had dogs with thick fur, they've taken so long to dry that they are surrounded by a sort of greenhouse humid microclimate which makes them even more uncomfortable in very hot weather!
Anonymous said…
poor Teddy, looks like a cool spot though, that salad looks great!!
SHERRY said…
Poor sweet Teddy. It must be unbearable for her. I would be lying right next to her on the cool floor. I hope your hellish weather breaks soon.
Sherry
Leanna said…
Poor baby girl. Has she ever tried getting into the pool? My puppies are with me all day long in the media room. The A/C is only running on low fan speed at 78 degrees, but they are happy. All are enjoying their afternoon siesta right now.
Guillaume said…
This reminds me of our "Tunisian spaghetti", a recipe that may not come from Tunisia, but is very popular in Québec: http://vraiefiction.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/spaghetti-tunisiens.html
Barb said…
friend of min just got a new hip. I want to make a meal for them. with our nasty temps, I think that salad would be just the right thing. Smart Teddy! 93 in Seattle today! I went down to the basement and took a rest on a cool leather couch! Kind of like Teddy!
prairie said…
Thanks! You always know just what I need for the next potluck. One on Sunday will be taken care of by your spaghetti salad. One on Monday, will get top ramen salad. Not too much cooking in this 100 degree + heat. Whew! You're a life saver.
Craig said…
Very clever Teddy! I do like spaghetti salad and yours looks delicious.
Cascade Quilts said…
Poor Teddy! Our St.Bernard is miserable in this heat as well even though her fur is nowhere near as thick as Teddy's! Only difference is, if we had a swimming pool, we couldn't keep Lucy out of it! She is a water-loving swimming fool! hehe :) We are going to our summer cabin next week, which is on a huge lake - and you can bet that Lucy will be in swimming many many times every day :)
SMART Teddy and nutritious salad for the kiddies.
:) You are such a SWEETHEART!!
Mary Ann said…
I am going to make this today, we have had hot weather but for one day this week, and our appetites have been off all week. This looks like something we could both get down.
chickpea678 said…
Okay, and you just answered another question: what will I pack my kids for lunch tomorrow. Thank you!
TARYTERRE said…
TEDDY love the floor. Looks cool indeed. The spaghetti salad yummy.