Thursday, July 9, 2015

Brazilian Feijoada

 A couple days ago, The Blog Tech told me that he had been invited to a birthday party at someone's home he had never met.  I asked him if he wanted to take some food along with him.  He told me that someone that was attending asked if anyone knew where they could buy a good Cubano sandwich.  He mentioned that I make Cubanos and they asked if I could send one to the party. And thus the journey began.  This scenario happens often. Someone casually mentions something they like and the next thing you know, I am consumed with the culture, the food and it always ends up with a huge feast.  The Cubano request came from someone from Brazil.  A week ago I knew nothing about Brazilian food.  Yesterday I cooked a Brazilian feast.

I started by making Feijoada (fay-swa-dah) which is the national dish of Brazil.  Soak 2 bags of black beans overnight. Then start by cooking some bacon.

 While the bacon cooks, dice a large onion.

 Add additional bacon fat if enough didn't render from cooking the bacon.  You need a few tablespoons.

 Dice a green bell pepper, 3 stalks of celery and a lot of diced garlic.

 Saute this all in the bacon grease.

 Add salt and pepper, thyme and oregano.  I used about 1 tablespoon of thyme and oregano each.

 Dice the cooked bacon and return it to the pot.

 Add the drained black beans, several bay leaves, 2 ham hocks and enough beef stock to cover everything by several inches.  Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for 2 hours or until the beans are tender. Taste for seasoning.  I added 2 beef bouillon cubes.

 Remove the ham hocks and discard and add several different types of sausages.  I used smoked kielbasa, dry chorizo and linquica. 

Feijoada is always served with a side of rice.  Brazilian rice is often made with carrots, garlic and chicken stock.
And always a side of Couve A Mineira:  Brazilian collard greens.

And Molho De Vinagrete: Brazilian salsa.

Peeled sliced oranges are placed on each dish too.

And there is always a side of chimichurri with any good Brazilian feast.  This was just one of the dishes I made.  More to come tomorrow!

12 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Getting immersed in a new enthusiasm is what makes life great!

laurie said...

you do everything with such gusto!!! sounds wonderful!

Nellie said...

Oh, yum! How lucky for the Blog Tech's friends!

Cuisine de Provence said...

Wow - you are courageous! And everything looks really delicious.

Tammie Lee said...

that looks like a lot of work
and worth every minute when you get to eat it!

thecottagebythecranelakethree said...

I can see myself gulping down that :-) I love Brazilian food, I once had a friend who had lived in Brazil several years so I got a chance to taste some of the Brazilian cuisine.

Have a great day!
Christer.

chickpea678 said...

You are amazing! Chimuchurri is the only thing I recognize but it all looks INCREDIBLE!

Cottage Tails said...

mmm this sounds yum. I bet your kids friends also love your cooking

Guillaume said...

Not sure I even had Brazilian food. Certainly not authentic Brazilian food.

Craig said...

I'm learning a lot about Brazilian food! Looks fab.

Kay said...

You are so amazing! I am in awe of all you're able to prepare! Wow! I can't get over how you're able to prepare all these dishes from different cultures.

TARYTERRE said...

What a lovely feast, indeed. Feijoada looks and sounds delicious.