Italian Wedding Soup

I roast free range chickens for Teddy all of the time and I just can't bring myself to throw the carcasses away without first making stock.  I have so much frozen chicken stock that I am trying to find ways to use it up.  Italian wedding soup is a very good way.
First make a bunch of your favorite meatballs.  Don't precook them.

Saute' 1 large diced onion in a few tablespoons of olive oil.
Add a large bunch of cleaned spinach.
Cook stirring until it wilts.
Add about 8 cups of chicken stock and some salt and pepper.

Add the raw meatballs and simmer them for about 20 minutes.

Mix 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese with 2 eggs.

Drop it by spoonfuls on top of the soup.  Let it sit for a couple minutes.
Slowly stir it into the soup.

*  I just came back and added this on because I left it out when I posted this, add 1 cup of Acini Di Pepe pasta(tiny little balls) or any small pasta you like. Cook at a simmer for 10 more minutes until the pasta is cooked through.


Serve with a sprinkling of extra parmesan.

Comments

Makes me want to find an Italian and get married.
This looks delicious!

It's a bit fun because when we boil meatballs we call them frikadeller and when we fry them we call them k├Âttbullar, when the Danes fry them they call them frikadeller but when they boil them they call them k├Âttbullar :-) No matter what they are called here I do like them both ways so this is most likely something I'll do when autumn and soup weather comes :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Craig said…
Oh yum... another print out for my recipe file. We too always make stock from a roast chicken. We make our own minestrone which I love but have never tried this. But I certainly will soon!
Gatekeeper said…
Hmmm. Grandma use to cook it. Could never get it close to hers.
greekwitch said…
This is a lot like a soup we have here called giouvarlakia, have you ever heard of it? You might like it. I hate soups but this one , potato soup and greek bean soup are the only ones i eat.
TARYTERRE said…
This is one of my hubby's favorite soups. Going to have to steal your recipe. It looks simple and sounds delicious.
C Reeder PhxAz said…
Last winter was my first time to have this soup. It's wonderful - Can you share your stock recipe sometime. Thanks!
Guillaume said…
Che bella zuppa!
Linda said…
Sounds absolutely delicious - must try this!
I'll take some of that stock off your hands! ;)
Your soup looks amazing and it's cold enough at the cottage that I want soup for dinner!
Barbara F. said…
My favorite soup. Love the acini di pepe pasta in it, too. I sometimes use escarole instead of spinach. So good this soup.