Shepherds Pies

The Blog Tech and his sweetie had a long trip back from France and I knew when they arrived they would be hungry, so I whipped up some shepherd's pies. Comfort food for coming home.
 Start by sauteing a large diced onion, 3 diced carrots, 3 garlic cloves, 2 stalks of celery and 2 cups of corn in a bit of butter. Add 1 pound of ground beef and 1 pound of ground pork and cook until it is browned.  Season with salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme.


 Add 3 tablespoons of flour and cook and stir for a couple minutes. Add 3 cups of beef stock, 2 T. Worcestershire sauce, 4 T. tomato paste, a tsp. of kitchen bouquet and a beef bouillon cube. Cook until it begins to thicken.

 Divide it between individual dishes.  You can make this in one large dish but I find that people like having their own.

 Top with mashed potatoes.  I had these leftover and it's a great way to use them up.


 Top the potatoes with some shredded sharp cheddar cheese.  Back at 350 degrees until the juice is bubbling, about 30 minutes.

Comments

greekwitch said…
That looks so good! They are going to feel wonderful coming back home!
Anonymous said…
thats a great meal to welcome them home with!!!
Guillaume said…
With corn, just like our own shepherd's pies! Going to have sone while I am here I think.
Anonymous said…
Shepherd pies are never wrong :-) I make it way to seldome.

Have a great day!
Christer.
A great way to welcome them home! Especially after airplane food.
Cooking is definitely your way of showing your love! :)
Joyce, are you getting my emails?
Carole said…
Is that a cherry tomato on top? Funnily enough I've just finished cooking a shepherd's pie and will post about it tomorrow - to us shepherd's pie uses leftover lamb and what you cooked we would call Cottage Pie! Cheers from carole's Chatter
Mary Ann said…
They look so good, but Keith is trying not to eat much cheese now.

Kay said…
Oh yum! That looks so wonderful. I get hungry every time I come to your blog.