UP Pasties

We had a couple of cool days recently and I went into Fall cooking mode and made pasties.   If you are really bored and have nothing better to do or are really interested in the history of pasties, here it is:

http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/history.htm



First I made a big pot of gravy.

Then I mixed ground pork and beef with diced onion and celery, carrots and rutabaga. Pasties have lots of rutabagas in them. This is simply seasoned with parsley and salt and pepper.

I made a good flaky crust with cheddar cheese in it.  Put a large mound of the meat mixture in the middle of some of the dough, place a piece of butter on it, fold it over and seal.

Brush the pasties with an egg wash.

Bake them at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

The juice should be bubbling and they should be golden. They smell delectable.

Sorry for the blurry pic.  Serve them with a side of gravy.

Comments

They sure look good but that dippin' gravy looks better! Mmmm, gravy.
greekwitch said…
Oh my goodness! Did you know here we don't have gravy? I have actually never tasted it! They look amazing!!
Anonymous said…
I would love these if it wasn't for the rutabaga :-) I had way to much of that growing up but I guess they can be replaced with potatoes.

Have a great day!
Christer.
Susan said…
My college roommate was from the UP and would bring home pasties when she came back from break - I loved them!
Guillaume said…
Very suitable for autumn. I am into hearty food these days too.
Guillaume said…
Oh and I LOVE the plates. I'd eat anything hearty on this plate.
Sometimes you make such good things..that it makes me want a bite so bad I could cry! LOL Cheese in the pasty...does that EVER sound good!!
Barb said…
Glad they are home safe!