Old Fashioned Apple Pies

The Blog Tech and I went to an apple orchard this past weekend and bought baskets of honey crisp apples which means it's time to bake apple pies.  I made pate' sucre for the crusts.
I make my apple pies very simple so the full apple flavor comes through.  This means not using too much sugar.  I sliced about 14 apples and added 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup of light brown sugar.  Add 1/2 cup of flour and 1 tsp. of salt.  Squeeze 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.  Toss this all around and let it macerate for about 30 minutes.

Line your pie pans with the dough.  Spray the pans with cooking spray first.

Mound the apples into the dough lined pans.

Cover with the remaining dough and crimp the edges. Poke some holes in the top to vent it.  I used scraps to make smaller pies for my workers.  Brush the tops with cream and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and then lower the temp to 350 and bake for another hour or until the juices are bubbling and look thick.

The workers pies served with a side of caramel sauce.


Always bake your pies on a cookie sheet otherwise what you see here will be in your oven.

I can't show the inside of the pies because these went to friends along with caramel sauce I made earlier.
Now if we could just get some apple pie weather.

Comments

Nothing says "autumn" like apple pies!
Anonymous said…
so goooood!
Anonymous said…
These pies looks just delicious!

I bought lots of pears today and was thinking I might try making a opie with those but will it taste anything? Pears are so mild in the taste that I'm not sure it is a good idea after all but I feel I must try it :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Mary said…
I know I said it is a good idea to feed works...but maybe they are planning to stay for Thanksgiving dinner..hahaha. I hope the work is progressing along.
Dog Trot Farm said…
Such pretty pies...I have an apple crisp in the oven as I type...It is a beautiful Autumn day in Maine today...hope Autumn like weather arrives to you soon...
Guillaume said…
Th caramel sauce on the side is a great idea. Because caramel and apples go well together and because I don't like apple pies all that much.
Nellie said…
Yum! Love apple pie here!
sonia said…
Mmmm, that looks so good! I made a peach pie this Summer and just waiting to make an apple one. And then, pumpkin of course! All seasons deserve pie!
ChgoJohn said…
So much to love about apple pie. From the aroma in the kitchen while it bakes to the last piece in the tin, it's all good.
Mary Ann said…
We just got back from walking at the hilly, unpaved park... we are WORN OUT!

90 degrees out there, what the HECK? It's October!
Kay said…
I'll bet you have a LOT of people who want to be your friend. Those pies are making my mouth water.