Raisin Apple Bread

I made this for my workers yesterday and they loved it.  I served it straight out of the oven so it was still warm.
 Dice 2 apples into small cubes and add them to a pan with a pat of butter.

 Sprinkle lightly with some sugar and cinnamon and cook this for a couple minutes just until the apples begin to soften. You don't want these to be mushy.

 Sit them by your window to cool.  I guess they could cool on your counter but that's not nearly as dramatic.



  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 4 – 4 ¼C. flour
  • 2 T rapid rise yeast
  • 2 1/2  (soften them by soaking in hot water and then draining)
Mix all of the ingredients and knead until you have a nice smooth ball of dough.  Place it in a buttered bowl, cover it and let it rise for almost 2 hours.
Dump it on your counter and cut it in half.
 Roll each half into a 12 X 12 square (roughly). Sprinkle half of the cooled apples along the bottom half of the dough.


Roll the dough into a tight cylinder.
 Form each of them into a loaf and place them on a parchment covered cookie sheet.  Cover and let them rise for about an hour.  Brush them with an egg white wash and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar.  Bake them in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 40 minutes until they turn golden.

 Good house smells!

 Cool them on a rack.

 This would make great french toast.

 You can see the thin line of apples through the middle.

Comments

Those workers aren't ever going to want to leave your place!
Jim said…
Heck! I can smell those loaves from here!!
I really must get back to making our own bread again like I did years ago. I LOVE the kneading process......very relaxing and meditative.
Anonymous said…
This loos delicious!

I've had raisin in bread and I've had apples but never like this and never together. This is a must try!

Have a great day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
Lucky workers! I'd have this for breakfast, or with the afternoon tea. Such an autumnal bread too.
Guillaume said…
Lucky workers! I'd have this for breakfast, or with the afternoon tea. Such an autumnal bread too.
Guillaume said…
Lucky workers! I'd have this for breakfast, or with the afternoon tea. Such an autumnal bread too.
Susan said…
At this rate, your house won't be finished for years....or....it will be finished quickly and perfectly!
greekwitch said…
You know, if I were those workers I would stall on purpose to enjoy the amazing food longer!!! I have never heard of this bread! It seems delicious!!
Mary Ann said…
Yummm, and easy, too!