|This was lunch for everyone on Friday. It's flavorful, crunchy and fresh.|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- extra-large yellow onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 cup quinoa( I used red and white)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (zest the lemon before juicing it)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, onions, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and just begun to barely brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and stir it into the onions and let it toast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, reduce the heat to low, cover pan, and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed. While it's cooking, chop the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and add the sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, almonds, lemon zest, feta and stir to combine. Taste and if necessary add more salt, pepper.We ate this at room temp but it could be served warm or cold or used as a side dish to chicken or fish.