Povitica


Povitica (poe-vi-tee-zah) is a scrumptious nut roll.  I made it for The Blog Tech's fiance' the other day since she had never tried it before.
 You can find the recipe here:

http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2011/12/potivica.html
Once the dough has risen, you have to roll it out in a very thin square.  You should be able to see the counter through it.

 Spead it with the walnut mixture you have made and set it aside to cool.

 Roll it very tightly into a long log.  If you don't roll it tightly enough, you will get gaps in the finished loaf which you can see in the top and bottom photo.  My bad.

 Place the log in an "S" shape in a greased and parchment lined pan, cover it and set it aside to rise for about 1-1/2 hours.

 It should rise to the top of the pan.

 Bake it in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes then lower the oven to 300 degrees and continue to bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

 If it starts to get too brown, place a piece of foil over it.

Remove it from the oven and let it rest in the pan for about 30 minutes.
 Remove it and cool it completely on a rack.

 Oh the shame of the gaps....next time I will remember to take my own advice!  Wrap this and place it in the fridge for a day to let the flavor develop.  You can eat it the day you bake it but it is always better the next day.


Comments

Anonymous said…
its so pretty,,
Yum! I'd eat it, gaps and all!
Anonymous said…
It is delicious!
I do have problems making anything as thin as it should be though :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Mary Ann said…
Well, I grew up in Kansas City, Kansas, where there were probably a thousand women baking povitica. In fact, there are now povatica bakeries here.

My sister in law makes it, wonderful loaves.

My mom was Irish. No povatica going on at our house :-(

I love it, though.
Guillaume said…
It looks like some kind of Polish or Eastern version of a baklava.
Tikkun said…
How's the poor girl supposed to fit into her wedding dress ;)? I'm envious of all her treats!
Just fill those gaps with butter and pour a cup of fresh hot coffee! :)
I have not made a nut roll in ages, but today seems like a good day to try one.
Jim said…
Hey, what a gap amongst friends! Looks delicious!!
Magic Love Crow said…
Looks so good, even with the gaps!
Alice said…
Does this taste much different than traditional Nut Rolls? Seems pretty much the same?