Salads for Lunch

 As I've mentioned before, my kids are on wedding diets and I have been feeding them salads during the week. They basically try to eat on main meal so I make it a good one.  As a base for each salad, I add about 1/3 cup of cooked pasta.  This gives it that extra ooomph which makes it more filling without adding too many calories.

 I fill each container with lots of different types of lettuce, much of which I get in my CSA box.

 Then I add shredded carrots, sliced radishes and celery.

 I sprinkle on a bit of crumbled blue cheese.  Just a little to give it added flavor. I like to add lupini beans, thinly sliced onion and a few olives. During the winter I make oven roasted tomatoes and they are wonderful in salads.

 They are topped off with a sliced hard boiled egg and some slices of grilled  seasoned chicken.

At the very end, I shave some cheese over it and add some nuts.  These salads vary each day and my kids have really been enjoying them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are the best Mama lol,, you feed the kids so well!!
Anonymous said…
Those salads look delicious!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Susan said…
You can take over my lunches anytime!
A nice healthy balance of veggies, protein and a few carbs!
Debby said…
It looks so good. It would be wonderful to have someone like you prepare meals.
Guillaume said…
Looks both delicious and healthy.
Joy said…
Wow! I wish someone would make me salads! ;) We've been in salad mode as well since the holidays and the fact that it's summer here and amazing produce is in season! For some other variations, I like to add toasted pumpkin seeds, cooked lentils or beans or red beets, sometimes figs or peaches. I've also used flax oil instead of EVOO to make the dressing even healthier.
Kay said…
Your kids are so so so very lucky!!! I LOVE salads!
Magic Love Crow said…
You really are the best!!!
Tikkun said…
Yum! What are lupini beans? I love the sliced hard boiled eggs and the sliced chicken. Nothing like protein to fill you up and satisfy!