Tuna cakes

I think I stared down too much terrible tuna noodle casserole as a child because I have a problem with canned tuna.  I like it in a good tuna salad but beyond that, I have always been squeamish about it.  My daughter requested something light for her lunch the other day and I didn't have much in my coffers.  So, I made this recipe up and it blew everyone out of their loafers.
 Dump 1 cup of panko in a mixing bowl and add 1/3 cup of mayo (not miracle whip).  Add 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup of minced celery, 3/4 cup of minced onion, 1/2 cup of diced red pepper and 1 egg.  Add 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning,  1 tsp. dried thyme, 1 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic, S&P, 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke (optional) and I added a sprinkling of Cajun seasoning, also optional.  Mix in 2 cans of drained tuna.  Mix this thoroughly.

 Form the mixture into patties. I got 8 large 1 inch thick cakes. A tip for forming the cakes:  cut the top and bottom off of the tuna can.  Place the can on waxed paper.  Spoon some of the mixture into the bottomless can and tamp it down using the lid.  Push it out using the lid and you lift the can.  This makes a compact cake which holds together when you cook it.

 Pan fry them in a bit of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes on each side.  They should be crisp and golden.

 Make sure you cook them until they are crisp.

Drain them on paper towels.  As you can see they really are not oily at all.  You can eat these plain or on buns or even cold right out of the fridge.  I'm not naming names on how I know this.

Comments

Bee Haven Bev said…
Your cooking never ceases to amaze me! Wonderful! And those Celebration Rolls really intrigue me....I may have to try them some time.
Have a Happy Memorial Day!!
Anonymous said…
Tuna isn't that popular over here. I like it to be honest but have it too seldome. These look so good!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Anonymous said…
not miracle whip eh ' lol,,, you know we only use miracle whip,, its a Canadian thing,,,
lol,,,,
these do sound good!!!
Not on topic, but congrats to your Penguins! I'm cheering for them too in the Stanley Cup finals. Looking foward to Game 1 on Monday night!
Guillaume said…
I love fishcakes. You make me want to eat some actually.
Kay said…
Oh yum! This does look wonderful. My husband LOVES tuna.
Susan said…
I will never look at a can of tuna the same way. And what a clever use of the can!
Heritage Hall said…
Ingenious again....love the shaping via can magic.. am
going to try this one with salmon cakes... you must take
a steady diet of imagination vitamins... just look at
your garden...so creative in so many areas are you....
A blessed weekend to you and yours....
TARYTERRE said…
That looks like a scrumptious summer dinner.