|I made dinner for some friends recently and made them these rolls. This was the first time for me making these and they are really good and would be perfect for sandwiches.|
5 cups flour
1 package dry active yeast
1 pinch of salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon shortening like crisco
2 cups lukewarm water
1 tablespoon flour to cover
1) Dissolve the yeast in a bowl with the 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water and 2 teaspoons sugar. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
2) Add 1 cup flour to the bowl and mix well. Cover with a cloth and let it sit for about an hour until it has doubled in size.
3) Once ready, remove the cloth and add in your remaining ingredients. Mix well.
4) Flour the surface of a pan and knead the dough on top until it reaches a smooth and even consistency.
5) Place in a bowl to let rise for about an hour.
6) Once done, break off 10 to 12 portions of dough.
7) On a floured surface, roll each portion into a smooth ball. Press down on the dough pieces with your hands and twist the opposite ends of each side of the rolls in order to maintain their shape.
8) Sprinkle them with tablespoon of flour.
9) Cover the pieces of dough and let them sit in a warm, dry place for about 45 minutes to completely finish rising.
10) Pre-heat the oven to 475 degrees.
11) Place the rolls on a lightly greased and floured baking sheet.
12) Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the bread rolls are golden brown.
13) Once done, remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes.