Polish Nut Roll

In my area of the world, these rolls are served at every holiday.  When I was a little girl, my mother made this recipe and I always loved it.  I made 8 of these a few days ago and sent them off to friends and sent a bunch to the after school kids.  Interestingly, they had never heard of them before.  Another eye opener for me.  That's like saying you live in Philadelphia and never heard of a cheese steak or you live in Maine and never ate a blueberry.  I was shocked but then I thought about it and you know, walnuts are very expensive. Maybe they've never had them because of how expensive they are to make. They know what they are now!
 First you make the nut mixture.  This recipe makes 2 rolls.

2 lbs. ground walnuts
1 cup milk
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 T. butter
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix this in a heavy pot and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.  Cool before using.

 I sit mine by a slightly opened window to cool while the dough rises.

 For the dough:

2-1/2 tsp. rapid rise yeast
1-1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup softened butter
2 eggs well beaten
4-1/2 to 5 cups flour

Pour milk, eggs, yeast, butter and sugar in your mixer bowl. Gradually add the flour and salt and knead it until you have a smooth dough.  This dough is sticky and does not rise much.  Place it in a buttered bowl, cover it and let it rise for about 1 hour.


 Divide it in 2 pieces and roll each one out to about 1/8 inch thickness.  Brush it with melted butter.

 Spread it with half of the nut mixture.

 Roll it into a log.
 Place it seam side down on a parchment covered cookie sheet, cover it and let it rise another 30 minutes.

 Bake it in a 375 degree oven for about 50 minutes until it registers 190 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Remove from the oven, brush with butter and let it cool on a rack.


 These rolls are huge so you can really cut them in half if you are giving them away.

 My first batch came out pretty dark.

 So, I covered the next batch half way through with foil and they came out much lighter.

You can freeze these easily.  Also, wrap them in plastic and keep them in the fridge.  The flavor actually gets better after a day or so.

Comments

These look delicious. I've had lots of Ukrainian poppy seed rolls of course, but I've never had a Polish walnut roll.
Susan said…
When I lived in Cleveland, these were available at the West Side Market near the holidays. While I have never made one, I sure have eaten plenty. They are goooood! You are making an indelible mark on these kids - all for the best.
Kev Alviti said…
These look amazing!
Anonymous said…
They aren't well known here, I must admit that I've only know about them because of You :-)

Walnuts are nasty expensive but a must for christmas :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Anonymous said…
when you told me you were making nut rolls this is not what I thought they were, lol, not at all I have never heard of this before unless I read it here before and have forgotten,, they really are quite spectacular,, I can see why they are held fr special occasions, they are lovely! Garry loves nuts ,, I'll have to try this recipe for sure!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Oh my.....how I love nutrolls. I have made them as gifts for many years....they are always a favorite!!
OMG, this is what Mom made every Christmas season...Hungarian nut rolls better known as dio kolache. Mom loved walnuts, the more the better in her opinion. Making dio kolache was a labor of love because it takes time & patience.
PAK said…
My neighbor who comes from Cleveland makes this at Christmas every year. It's Potica or Povitica. She has an ancient cookbook with the recipe. Love it.
chickpea678 said…
Wow, this looks delicious! I can almst smell them baking, LOL!
Agnieszka said…
Gotta say that although I am Polish born and bred, I have never had this. I've had poppyseed roll (a Christmas staple in my family home) which looks similar but the filling is made of poppyseed and dried fruit.
This nut roll looks delicious though!