For the Pastry
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup shortening (Very cold and cut in cubes)
- ½ cup butter (Very cold and cut in cubes)
- 6 tbsp ice water (approximately, enough to bring the dough together)
For the Filling
- ½ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
To prepare the pastry
- Pulse the cold butter and shortening into the flour sugar and salt using a food processor until the shortening or butter is reduced to pea sized pieces.
- Sprinkle the water over the surface and toss with a fork until the water is just incorporated into the dough. Do not over work the dough; handle it only enough so that the dough stays together.
- Form the dough into two rounds about an inch thick.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in the fridge for about a half hour.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface. Cut into rounds with 4 inch cutter. Fit into muffin cups. Chill in the fridge or freezer while you prepare the filling.
To make the filling
- Combine all filling ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Fill the shells ⅔ full with syrup mixture.
- Bake on bottom shelf of oven at 425 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack and remove tarts from from pans.
|I also made some mini pumpkin pies.|