Making Whole Grain Mustard

I love mustard, particularly whole grain mustard.  I like the way the seeds pop like caviar pearls.  It can be pretty pricey to buy so I like to make my own. You literally can whip it up in minutes and then you just need to let it sit out for 24 hours.
 For about 3 cups of mustard, I used 2 cups of mustard seeds.  I mixed black mustard seeds with yellow.  The black have a stronger flavor so if you like a milder mustard, just use yellow seeds.

 Add an equal amount of vinegar. I used cider vinegar but you can use any kind you want depending on the type of mustard you want to end up with. You can even use balsamic.

 Add 1/4 cup of another liquid.  I used apple cider but you could use wine, beer or even brandy.

 Add 2-3 tablespoons of sweetener depending on how sweet you want it to be. I used 2 tablespoons of honey but you can use brown or white sugar instead.  Add 2 tsp. of salt and stir this thoroughly.

 Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit on your counter for 24 hours.

 Before putting it in jars, you can add other flavorings such as herbs, onions or even horseradish. You also can put it in a blender to make a smooth mustard or just blend some to have a smooth mustard with whole seeds in it. 

I like it just the way it is.  It's so much better than store bought too!

Comments

Kim Campbell said…
This looks amazing. And so easy!
Leanna said…
I have never been able to find a mustard recipe that I liked. I have to try yours because, darlin, you are the greatest cook that I know. I don't know how many people have said this, but Thank You soooo much for sharing your recipes and ideas.
Anonymous said…
I am not a fan of mustard as You know by now :-) The only time I eat it is at christmas and on the christmas ham :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
TARYTERRE said…
I love mustard, particularly whole grain. This recipe looks less complicated than I thought it would. YUM.
Guillaume said…
Oh I LOVE mustard! This is like the moutarde de Meaux, which tastes great with rabbits (lapin à la moutarde de Meaux) and which my wife forbid me to ever eat again (she is vegetarian)...
Gemmagirl said…
Another great recipe. Will give it a try. What is the shelf life for it. I know yours probably gets eaten very quickly.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
when i make larger batches i can it. i've never had this go bad. i use it rather quickly but i've had some in the fridge for longer than i should admit and it's still fine. months and months! if you add things like onion or fresh herbs it would make for a shorter shelf life.
I have a nice recipe for sweet mustard that's great with ham. But even though I make it in as small a batch as possible, it just results in TOO much mustard for me to ever get through!
1st Man said…
I am SO trying this soon! Thanks!!!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
for anyone trying this recipe, remember that this will give you a very dry totally grainy mustard. if you want it creamier, puree some of it in your food processor and then mix the grainy stuff in. this will make it easier to spread.
Ian's Girl said…
Is there anything you can't do?!
LOL Love the comment above! I've wondered the same thing often! I love mustard and this sounds wonderful!!
Unknown said…
Just like you, I love grainy mustard. I have tried many different brands and types of whole grain mustard. I even run a site dedicated to grainy mustard. However, I have never tried to make grainy mustard. This article has inspired me to try my hand at making mustard. I hope it's as good as the store bought brands.
chickpea678 said…
I guess I better bookmark this recipe. Also, a wonderful teacher gift I can make it in bug batches! Thanks!!!