Blackberry Bars

I had forgotten about this recipe until I stumbled upon it the other day.  I made them for my husband.  That man loves his desserts.
 Crust and Topping

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled
Pulse this in the food processor.


 Press all but 1-1/2 C. of it into a sprayed and lined 9X13 pan.  Save the 1-1/2 C. for the topping.  Bake this in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Remove and cool.


 
Fruit Filling

  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • pinch salt
  • zest of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 2 cups of fresh blackberries.
Beat all of the ingredients together except the blackberries.


 Gently stir the blackberries into the batter.

 Pour the mixture over the cooled crust.

 Sprinkle the reserved 1-1/2 C. over the top.  Bake this in the 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes until it no longer jiggles and is turning golden around the edges.  Mine took about an hour.


Let these cool for at least an hour before cutting into bars. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners sugar.

Comments

Susan said…
Three sticks of butter? What's not to love?!?!
Guillaume said…
Oh yum! What's not to love.
TARYTERRE said…
Love blackberries. They grew along the fence in our backyard when I was little. I'd pick em off the vine for a snack when I played. This recipe of yours looks delicious.
Anonymous said…
These look yummy! I might try these this weekend, hopefully they have frozen blackberries in the store.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Rain said…
Oooh, look at those blackberries, they look so delicious. I can't get good berries this time of year, even the frozen ones lack flavour, I can't wait until the summer, that's when we do most of our fruit-eating! Looks yummy, reminds me a bit of shortbread.
chickpea678 said…
Yum! I'm going to try this with my KA one for one gf flour!
1st Man said…
OMG!!! I've been looking for something new to do with our dewberries when they (hopefully anyway) start coming in a month or two. Dewberries are just a different kind of wild blackberry so they'll be perfect. Thanks for this!!!
Hi Joyce...another one I am going to try. They look and sound wonderful. :) Thanks so much!