Milk Bread

This is a new recipe for me.  It is a terrific bread, unlike any other recipe I've tried.
 It starts by making a paste using flour and water:


  • 5 1/3 cups bread flour, divided, plus more for surface 
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup mild honey 
  • 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder 
  • 2 tablespoons rapid rise yeast 
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 3 large eggs (2 for the dough and one for brushing)
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter at room temperature
  • Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • Flaky sea salt
 The recipe called for using large muffin tins which I didn't have so I just used small oven proof bowls and ramekins.


  1. Cook 1/3 cup flour and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly, until a thick paste forms about 5 minutes. Add cream and honey and cook, whisking to blend, until honey dissolves.
  2. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and add milk powder, yeast, kosher salt, 2 eggs, and 5 remaining cups flour. Knead on medium speed until dough is smooth, about 5 minutes. Add butter, a piece at a time, fully incorporating into dough before adding the next piece, until dough is smooth, shiny, and elastic, about 4 minutes.
You might need a bit more flour but this dough is sticky.
  3. Coat a large bowl with nonstick spray and transfer dough to bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  4. Lightly coat a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with nonstick spray. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and divide into 6 pieces. Divide each piece into 4 smaller pieces (you should have 24 total). They don’t need to be exact. Place 4 pieces of dough side-by-side in each muffin cup.

  5. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size (dough should be just puffing over top of pan), about 1 hour.
  6. Preheat oven to 375° F. Beat remaining egg with 1 teaspoon. water in a small bowl to blend. Brush top of dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until bread is deep golden brown, starting to pull away from the sides of the pan, and is baked through, 25 to 35 minutes. Let milk bread cool slightly in pan on a wire rack before turning out; let cool completely.



This is  a dense moist bread and perfect to eat with soups or stews.

Comments

Diane said…
That sounds fantastic, note made to try this out. Thanks Diane
Rain said…
Hi Joyce :) I love how you make the bread in pieces like that, it looks really delicious!
Susan said…
Oh, be still my poor GF heart!
Anonymous said…
I've tried something like that and failed totally :-) :-) Yours look delicious though, perhaps I should try it again.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Tracy said…
I'm new to your blog and have been really enjoying it. =) I'm bookmarking this to try because it looks delicious!
Your bread always looks magnificent!
Guillaume said…
Now I'm hungry for good bread.
Jeannine520 said…
Forget the soups and stews. Give me a cube of room temp European butter and I'll be a-okay. ;-)
TARYTERRE said…
I LOVE bread with my soup. Sounds tasty for sure.
Bee Haven Bev said…
Mmmmmm.... I'm a bread head....so I will definitely try this one!!!
Adam said…
I don't think I've ever tried any
Kay said…
Oh my! They look very pretty as well as tasty.