Rosemary Shortbread Cookies

My poor friend was tackling some garden work when her garden tackled her and she broke her arm.  I hate it when that happens.  The least i could do was send her some food.  I packed up a tian, some of the rolls and pickles I posted recently and I made her these cookies.  It was like the proverbial treat after the dentist visit.
 These cookies are so easy to make and so very tasty.  I saved some for my husband and they were gone in a flash.

 The recipe:

1 12 cup unsalted butter
23 cup white sugar
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 34 cup all-purpose flour
14 tsp salt
sanding sugar for decoration

Directions



  • Prep
  • Cook
  • Ready
  1. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, salt, and rosemary until well blended. The dough will be somewhat soft. Roll dough into a log, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  3. Remove dough from the refrigerator. Cut the log into 1/4 inch thick slices and place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Dip each cookie into sanding sugar.
  4. Bake for 8 minutes or until the cookies are just starting to turn golden at the edges. Cool on wire racks

 They make your house smell wonderful!

 I doubled the recipe.

These are buttery, crisp and very delicate.  There's nothing like a good shortbread.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I do like shortbread cookies :-) I've never tried them with rosemary though and I do like rosemary too so this is a must try :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Linda said…
I love how they are so uniform!
Rain said…
I do love shortbread. I make shortbread cookies usually around Yule time. They're all for me because Alex isn't too fond of them. I'd love to try the rosemary in them too. I'm not surprised they were gone quickly! You're so sweet for making your friend a care package like that! :) I hope she recovers okay, breaking your arm in the summer, how miserable!
Rain said…
Joyce, what is "sanding sugar"?
Leanna said…
Shortbread cookies with rosemary. Hmmmm, never tried that, now I gotta. I had to look up the sanding sugar. I never heard of that.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
sanding sugar is the courser sugar you use for decorating. it won't melt during baking.
Connie said…
These make me wish that I would have planted Rosemary. I had a huge plant at my last home that came up every year. My husband just walked past the computer and spied your cookies . . . "Are you going to bake cookie?" . . . what's a girl to do, LOL.
Yum Yum these look delicious--am going to try baking some. Do you have a good recipe for lemon cookies?
TARYTERRE said…
shortbread cookies are delicious for sure. yours look yummy indeed.
Kev Alviti said…
I like the sound of these but have never had rosemary with something sweet before. Might have to.give it a go.
Kev Alviti said…
I like the sound of these but have never had rosemary with something sweet before. Might have to.give it a go.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
samplings of spring...you can make these cookies into lemon cookies by adding lemon zest to them . just grate in some fine lemon rind. you can leave the rosemary out for a pure lemon flavor or add the rosemary too!
Guillaume said…
I am sorry about your friend. lovely yummy cookies.