Tian Time

People who have followed my blog a long time could probably have guessed what I was going to turn a lot of my vegetables into....tians!  It's one of my families favorite times of year.  I always make a lot of them when vegetables are ready because my friends all wait for this time of year too.
 Start by sauteing sweet onions in some olive oil.

 Add a bunch of sliced peppers.  I used all the ones from my garden.  I threw in some cherry tomatoes too.  This is a loose recipe, you can add what you like.

 Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

 Cook until the vegetables soften.

 Taste for seasonings and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Add about 8 cloves of garlic, shredded.  I am making a huge batch so season accordingly.

 Mix in a bit of pesto.  Not too much, just enough to add some flavor. Set this aside to cool.

 Slice your tomatoes and lay them on paper towels.  Salt them and let them sit to release some of their liquid.

 Slice zucchini thinly.

 I use my mandolin to do this. Slice some eggplants as well.

 Start layering the vegetables in your pans.  I put down a layer of eggplant and top it with zucchini.  I missed a pic here but top the zucchini with grated Gruyere cheese.  This will melt while cooking and form the base for your tian.  I use Gruyere, Graskaas, Provolone, Mozzarella and Parmesan in mine.


 Add a layer of the onion mixture on top of the cheese and add more eggplant.

 Add a layer of tomatoes and continue to layer with veggies and cheese.

Layer until you reach the top.
 Cover the top with more grated cheese.  I dot the top with cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives.

Don't waste the oil in the pot.  Drizzle it over the tians.  I sprinkle them with Parmesan cheese too.  Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour and a half depending on the size of your tian.  The liquid should be bubbling around the edges. 
 Let them sit for at least 30 minutes before serving so they can reabsorb the liquid.

 I've never frozen mine but I've been told they freeze well.

These are seriously one of our favorite things.

Comments

Essentially a vegetable lasagna!
Anonymous said…
I've done this a few times but way too long ago. Perfect to bring to work as lunch!

Have a great day!

Christer.
CalamityJr said…
Oh my. Looks like food heaven.
Leanna said…
Like Debra said, it's just a great veggie lasagna. I can taste it in my mind. I've made one and it's GOOOOOooooOOOOOD!!
Linda said…
Do you put in all those cheeses at once, or are those the kinds you use? What is the origin of this dish? I am just drooling and tasting this already. I would leave out the eggplant, but the rest suits me just fine, so fine I might just eat one all by myself.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i mix all of the cheeses together and layer them as i go.
TARYTERRE said…
these look seriously delicious.
Guillaume said…
That looks so good.
Bill said…
Looks and sounds amazing. Looks like a great way to enjoy summer veggies! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Blogoratti said…
All look delicious indeed, nice. Warm greetings to you!
Rain said…
Hi Joyce! :)) Thanks for telling me about this, I missed your post! All I can say is wow...I love your cheese combination. This might get me to eat eggplant again lol...we got tired of it, we ate too much in calzones last winter, but you're right, you can use any veggie combo, but I do like yours, especially the Kalamatas. This is a great alternative if I don't want to use eggs.

Oh my gosh...I threw out my mandolin WITH A PASSION last summer because of, you can guess I'm sure....terrible injury. I'm so scared of those things now lol...We have a cheese grater that kind of looks like a meat grinder. It has a slicing attachment so that's what I use now.
Tech Cloud Ltd said…
Thanks for sharing such a mouth-watering recipe. I really found your tips very helpful. I’ll definitely try it at home. Though I'm not good at cooking as I’m working on a clipping path platform for the editing kind of stuff. Anyways very useful recipe; please keep sharing more. I’ll definitely visit your blog again. clipping path