A Big New Project

 I've been really busy lately.  We have started the project on the cottage where my daughter lives.  We bought this place years ago for The Blog Tech but my daughter has been living here for 3 years now and it is time to fix it up.  This is a tiny home and the couple that lived here raised 6 children in it.  It has 2 very small bedrooms and 1 bath.  If you look closely, you can see the old siding peeling off below the upper window. The four windows on the second floor need to be replaced.  Plus, I can finally get rid of these funky colors!

 As the workers remove layers from this place, they find one thing after another that needs our attention.  They start at 6:00am each morning and I have to meet up with them to go over the days work so I am up very early to get things done here before I have to go there.

 This house is in the city which means close proximity to the homes on either side.  And it is old.  It was built in the 20's.

 It's also the only house around with a tree.  Trees are rare in front yards in this city.

It will be quite a transformation when complete.  The entire kitchen is being redone too.  So, I have  a lot of work ahead of me.  It will be worth it though.  I'll update you along the way so you can see the progress. My head carpenter, nothing like working with a perfectionist.  This guy is great so I can relax a bit because he knows what he is doing. 

Comments

I'm glad you've got good workers on the job! It's a huge undertaking. Good luck!
Susan said…
I bet Teddy is glad she is not expected to co-supervise. What a neat, original "tiny house"! Can't wait to see what emerges - but I know it will be fabulous!
Anonymous said…
How fun to be able to do this. Looking forward to your updates. Will your daughter move elsewhere while the construction is taking place?
Mystica said…
I hope I am done with building for the rest of my life! good luck with this project and I am glad you've got good workers.
Linda said…
Good workmen make the difference between a nightmare and sweet dreams.
Leanna said…
It looks like a story book house. I can't wait to see what y'all do to it. Keep us posted.
On another note, we are expecting up to 15 inches of rain this weekend when Harvey hits. Don't worry, we'll be okay.
TARYTERRE said…
What a charming place. Good luck with the project.
Teacats said…
What a wonderful project for the whole street and neighborhood! Every time some people improve their own house - there is a ripple effect across the neighborhood! Are you worried about the tree roots in the plumbing lines or in or near the foundation? I adore trees of every kind -- but many trees are planted too near to the house and pose current or future hazards to the house! Also how will you be handling rainwater and drainage? Will be adding a rainbarrel to one of the downspouts? Please keep us updated with news and photos -- I LOVE Before-and-After stories - especially in décor and decoration!

Cheers! Jan at Rosemary Cottage
Anonymous said…
I'm glad You can trust the worker, nothing worse than when one does and it turns out everything has to be done again because they actually didn't know what they were doing.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Mary Ann said…
I have just been through a whole-house renovation this summer... but was blessed to have a wonderful man doing it. We are two weeks away from completion! YAYYYY.