Caramel Apple Pies

 With temps in the lower 70's and football on TV, I felt it was time to bake apple pies for all of my friends. These caramel apple pies are a treat anytime of year.  However, I was lucky enough to buy bags of 'Wealthy' apples along the side of the road last week, the first apples of Fall.  I had never heard of them before and now they are my favorite pie apples.  Just perfect for baking pies!

 Make the syrup and set it aside until the pie is assembled.

ingredients:

In a heavy pan melt 1/2 cup of butter. Stir in 3 T. of flour and whisk it for a few minutes. Add 1/4 C. water, 1/2 C. white sugar and 1/2 C. of dark brown sugar and 1 tsp. of vanilla. Bring this to a boil, whisk it a bit.

 Use your favorite pie crust.  I always make pate' brisee. Cut your apples into uniform pieces after you peel them.  Mound them in your pan.
Cut another disk of dough into strips.  You have to make a lattice top for this pie.
 Lay the strips on the top in a lattice pattern.

 Crimp the edges.


 Retrieve the syrup.

 Ladle it into all of the openings in the lattice and over the entire top of the pie.


Sprinkle it with a course sugar. I used raw brown sugar.  Always cook pies on a lined cookie sheet or you will be sorry.

This pie runs over even before you bake it.  Bake the pie at 450 degrees for 15 minutes and then lower the oven to 350 degrees and bake for at least an hour or until the juices in the pie are bubbling.  If the pie turns too dark cover it with foil.


See what I mean about lining the pan.

 Let the pie cool completely before serving.

 I spray the foil so it won't stick to the bottom of the pie plate.  This might be the best apple pie you will ever eat.  My friends think so.

I made 6 of these.  The last three were still baking when I took this pic.  My friends each got a pie and containers of mashed potatoes with sauerkraut and kielbasa.  I've got my Fall on big time.

Comments

PAK said…
You have to bake the pie at 450 and then lower it to 450. A mistake?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
haha! trick instructions! i corrected it to 350 degrees!
Linda said…
I have never heard of that apple in the South. That looks delicious. I imagine your friends love you so much.
Can't comment right now -- gotta go wipe the drool off my chin.
bornfreev said…
Sounds delicious. I don't think I've ever had apple pie that did not have cinnamon though.
Susan said…
You have to love a pie that runs over the crust BEFORE it's cooked! Sounds delicious!
Guillaume said…
I am not a fan of apple pies, but adding caramel would just make it better and worth it. It is a very autumnal dessert.
Rain said…
Oh Joyce...we have fall weather right now! Sucks for the tomatoes, but I'm starting to get fall-fever too :) I NEVER thought of adding caramel to apple pie, but omg...seeing the photos and reading the recipe made me salivate lol!
Mary Ann said…
As soon as I get moved, I'm going to try one of these, they look wonderful!
Leanna said…
DAYUM!! That tasted good!
TARYTERRE said…
these look delcious. love the lattice work.
Dee said…
Wish I lived close to you!!!