Excellent Sandwich Rolls

I like to feed my workers when I have projects going on.  Besides my recent back yard tree project, I am entirely redoing the cottage my daughter and The Chef live in. It needs it! They just started it last Friday and two of my favorite workmen are doing the job and they love it when I feed them.
I made these rolls and served them hot sausage sandwiches and cookies. 

ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
  • ¾ cup water
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 egg + 1 egg yolk (save egg white for brushing buns)
  • 2 Tablespoons oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • egg white + 2 Tablespoons water (to brush the tops)
Instructions
  1. Add all ingredients together in the order listed then knead dough until dough is smooth and elastic.
  2. Cover & let rise 1 hour or until double in size.
  3. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
  4. Roll each piece on lightly floured surface into a 3x5" rectangle.
  5. Take the top (long side of rectangle) and fold to the center length wise, take the bottom piece and fold to the center length wise also. Flip over, gently tuck the end pieces under and place on greased cookie sheet. Place each roll 1" apart on parchment covered cookie sheet.
  6. Let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
  7. After rising brush with egg wash (to make egg wash whisk egg white and water together with fork).
  8. Preheat oven to 375 F. degrees.
  9. Bake 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Fold the top, then fold the bottom.

Press them down to flatten them a bit before rising.

Beautiful!

Cool on a rack.

You can make them smaller to use as hot dog buns or round for hamburger buns.

Comments

The JR said…
hahaha, I bet they do a good job for you too!
Linda said…
You do know that I work for food?
Anonymous said…
I read this at work and suddenly I felt it was time to start baking breads again. So who knows I might do that this weekend :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Rain said…
They look delicious Joyce, another bookmark for when I have time to make sandwich rolls! I hate the air-fluffed ones that are from the grocery store!
Guillaume said…
They sure look excellent.
Leanna said…
I bet if you ever need more work done on your property they will be running to you killing each other to get there first.
Wendelou72 said…
Love this recipe. I have not been getting your blog post via email since the end if July. I wonder what is going on?
TARYTERRE said…
these rolls look so good. how sweet you are to feed your workers.