Cranberry Sauce and Cooking for a Restaurant


Thanksgiving prep has officially begun.  I made cranberry sauce yesterday and canned it.  Each of my guests gets a jar of this to take home with them to go with their leftovers.  I've made this recipe for years and it's the best cranberry sauce I have ever tasted.  The flavor is unbelievable.
You can find the step by step recipe here:  https://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2016/10/cranberry-sauce-and-emergency-food-for.html

I have 20 people coming for dinner this year so I have lots of prep work ahead.

Here is a funny story.  A women booked an event at my daughter's restaurant.  As they were discussing the menu, the woman said that her mother is a really picky eater and will only eat crisp bacon on white bread along with a sliced apple.     She wanted to know if the restaurant could accommodate this request.  My daughter spoke to the chefs and they said....no way!  They all found it to be a very strange request.  When my daughter told me this story, I felt sorry for the woman.

I mean, it must be tough to be such a picky eater.

So, I told my daughter that I would accommodate the woman's request!  Yesterday I made 2 loaves of white sandwich bread and fried 2 pounds of bacon.

I bought some good honey crisp apples and made some caramel sauce.

I packed it up and dropped it off at the restaurant just before the event started.  My daughter said the woman was so very happy.  She loved the caramel sauce and ate 3 bacon sandwiches.  My daughter packed the leftovers up in  a doggie bag for her to take home.  Success!
Straight out of the water bath.
Cooled off and ready to go.

Some of you requested the recipe for the chewy maple cookies from the other day:


  • ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon maple extract
  • 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Instructions
  1. To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on low speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sugars and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well-combined, about 3 minutes. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the egg, vanilla extract, maple extract  and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, corn starch, baking soda, salt, and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.
  2. Using a 2-ounce cookie scoop, form heaping mounds. Place dough mounds on a parchment covered cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Do not bake these cookies with dough that has not been properly chilled because they will spread and they won't stay thick and puffy.
  3. Preheat oven to 350F.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just barely golden brown around the edges, even if slightly under cooked in the center, noting the tops will not be as browned and will be paler.
  4. Upon removing trays from oven, if cookies stayed very domed while baking (likely they will if dough was well-chilled) immediately give cookies a firm yet gentle tap or two with the back of a spoon to flatten them. This creates a crackled top appearance. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for about 10 minutes before moving them to a rack to finish cooling.
  5. I drizzled mine with a simple icing made with confectioners sugar and milk and then sprinkled colored sprinkles over it.

Comments

That was such a kind thing you did for the picky eater, Joyce!
NanaDiana said…
That was really nice of you to do that, Joyce. Who knows, she could have some kind of medical thing and that is one of the only things she can taste. Since my hubby's head/neck cancer he has just a couple of things he can actually eat....everything else is pulverized and tube fed.

I am sure the woman was delighted. xo Diana
Anonymous said…
You made the day for that woman! Really nice of You!
But I have to satý that she is a bit too picky :-) :-) :-)

I really need to find some canned cranberry sauce here (we can't buy cranberries here, only lingonberries) so I can taste what it tastes like. I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of cranberries in our lingonberry jam because we do have bnoth here and I doubt that most people would see the difference :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Rain said…
You're so sweet Joyce. :) xx
I love your cranberry sauce! I made my own for the first time this year and it was so delicious, no more canned crap lol! :)
Leanna said…
That was so sweet of you to accommodate that guest at your daughters' restaurant. I hate canned cranberry sauce. I have got to try making your cranberry recipe this year. It might change Davids mind on canned sauces forever.
Linda said…
I am 71 and have been accused of being a picky eater all my life. NO, finally, I know I have strange allergies--any mammal product, cashews but not peanuts, green peas, pineapple, and many other things.

I wonder if this woman just knows what she can eat and not suffer, or if she has unknown allergies, or just gets her way. Either way, I no longer question people's eating habits.

That was wonderful of you to help this woman. And, I am sure your daughter will reap the good will for a long time. Kudos to you.

As for the cranberry sauce, I prefer cooked cranberry sauce just like my mother cook--cranberries, water, and sugar. I will eat the jelled cranberry sauce from Ocean Spray. However, I do eat what is put before me when I am company. It does sound really good.
Guillaume said…
I love a good cranberry sauce. I rarely succeed making a good one, but my parents's is great.
TARYTERRE said…
what a sweet gesture.
chickpea678 said…
Amazing that you made the woman her special meal!