My Daughter's Cottage

 We are in the midst of redoing my daughter's cottage.  She wanted to buy a new place but after looking and looking, we decided to redo the place she owns now to make it more livable. The painters painted the trim and we are waiting for siding to arrive.

 A new balcony has been added to the back along with new windows and doors.

 The brick has been re-laid and new steps were poured. The entire patio has to be redone.

 I am still shaking my head over some of the things we found when we tore this place apart. Rotten wood, live wires, dirt instead of cement foundation...unreal!

 And who knew that dry wall is now purple?  What happened to white? This is the tiny laundry area.

 The bathroom will be completely redone too.  Typical workers left the toilet seat up!

 We've moved stuff around to gain every inch of space we can.  This area will have a barn door hung to save space.

 We ended up ripping out the entire staircase and closet beneath it.  Rotten wood and bad old carpentry contributed to this decision.

 The kitchen is very small so  we removed the ceiling and will go with exposed joists to add height.  It's getting a total redo and should be great when it is done.

 A plus was that we found this old brick, re-pointed it and it will add to the ambiance of the finished kitchen.  We are building shelves between the columns.

I'll update this project as more is accomplished.

Comments

WendyFromNY said…
I just LOVE construction! How nice to clean up the old messes and make everything new. Is that purple dry wall waterproof? It used to be green drywall was for damp areas, bathrooms, etc., but maybe now it is purple? Looking forward to seeing more on this!
Leanna said…
OMG! It reminds me of my home when David and I renovated it. What a difference it all makes. She's going to have such a cute home when the workers finish. I can't wait to see it all done.

Oh, by the way, the drywall is purple so you know it's moisture and mold proofed. Builders use that kind more nowadays because it's better.
Susan said…
Well, it's going to look fabulous after you pretty much rebuild it from scratch! Since you are in charge, I know that it will be done well, right and beautifully. I like the looks of it - I'm a sucker for all things cottage and tiny living space.
I bet it will be GORGEOUS when it's done!
Connie said…
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished re-done . . . love that you found that brick wall. You much save somethings from the vintage cottage and that wall is a super find:)
MaryO said…
It will be lovely! Fantastic re-do!
TARYTERRE said…
what a charming place. totally worth the redo.
1st Man said…
Wow so much character!!! And LOVE the "brick discovery". It's funny when I saw the pic but hadn't read yet I immediately thought "I would build shelves in between so you can see the brick behind them." Going to be amazing when it's all done.
Betty said…
Redoing a house is a big project and you can find many things you could have never thought of. We are doing our home one thing at a time over the years. We have run into a lot of problems we never knew we would. Purple drywall must be new. We redid a room in our home and they still had white.