Rockport and Boston

I'm afraid this post won't be quite as long today because we did a little less stuff today than we've done the last few days.  Fact is, we are all in our thirties, and our feets have a tendency to get a little more sore than they used to.  But don't despair!  We took a nice long walk around Rockport, and we had an amazing meal in Boston.  Truly amazing.  Just as good as last night!  Read on.



This is the Rockport beach.  Rocky, yet oh so scenic.



As it turns out, dogs are not allowed on this beach.  You are witnessing a flagrant violation of the law.  But really, should any beaches ever disallow dogs?  There's not a beach on earth that isn't improved by the presence of a dog.


This is the story of Bear Skin Neck for your reading enjoyment!


Bear Skin Neck is basically a small, quaint, old-timey little peninsula at the tip of Rockport with a bunch of awesome little shops.


It's a tourist attraction, but it's also a working harbor.  I'm pretty sure these are honest to God lobster boats!


This right here is one of the most frequently-painted sites in America.  It's known as Motif #1.  It's considered a symbol of maritime New England.


This here is one of the most popular seafood restaurants around.  My sister and her boyfriend each bought one oyster each from here today.  I didn't even think of that!


Lobster traps!



This is the kind of sign that gets hung when you're besieged by tourists on a constant basis.


The edge of the edge of Rockport!
For dinner, we drove into Boston and ate at the Saltie Girl.  My wife and I went here back in April when we were in the area and we fell in love with it.  They have all kinds of amazing seafood, as well as an extensive list of canned seafoods that are served charcuterie-style, as seen above.  I've always loved tinned seafood.  My dad and I used to eat canned sardines in mustard sauce.  My mother always found it to be disgusting, which is a perspective I can definitely understand.  I don't think this place would be her cup of tea, but it certainly was ours!

This is a toast with white fish and avocado.  We loved this thing so much.  I love avocado, except in sushi.  Never, ever in sushi.  It makes sushi eating difficult, because most sushi features avocado.  But I digress.  This toast was amazing!

This was another appetizer.  It's salmon on top of more avocado, which was burned with some kind of hot flame.  I'm sure there's a more accurate term for this technique, but I do not know what it is.
 


This is some kind of fish with a Japanese name adorned with mustard, pickled ramps, and other things.  My wife didn't like it as much (she is not a fan of 'tart' flavors), but I loved it.

Beef tartare.  I've had it a lot of times in a lot of different ways.  This was right up there with the very best of them.


More octopus!  With prosciutto, and potatoes, and these orange and black sauces.


This is a whole black sea bass.  We deboned this thing expertly and ate everything but the head.  I would've eaten the head, or at least given it a shot, but I'm a stranger to this town, and I thought it might give me a bad reputation.


For dessert: fried lobster and waffles!  Just as good as the more typical fried chicken and waffles.  My sister's boyfriend is a hell of a cook at a hell of a restaurant, and he wanted to eat a good meal in Boston.  We were all curious as to what his thoughts on this place would be.  Hours later, when we were back at the AirBNB, he said, "Who is the chef at Saltie Girl?  That was a damn good meal!"  Success!

Tomorrow, we go to Salem again.  So much more Salem to see!  We are also going to a place called Woodman's of Essex, which fries things from the sea.  It's fantastic.  My wife doesn't get the big deal, though.  What's so special about fried seafood?  The answer lies in the question, honey.  Fried seafood is always special!


Comments

Connie said…
What a beautiful spot; it is easy to see why it gets so many tourists. Fresh Lobster Yum!!!
Mary said…
Thanks for letting us come along on such a fun trip.
Jan Hebert said…
We've never been to Saltie Girl but are very familiar with Rockport and the North Shore. Woodman's is great but our favorite is The Clam Box in Ipswich. The Village in Essex is our choice when we want an adult beverage along with our meal. Salem - in October! Lot's of tourists so we stay away but love Salem. I'm enjoying your photos and stories about your visit. I hope your mom is doing better. Jan